• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On The Road Again (Well, Nearly)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On The Road Again (Well, Nearly)

My 28 days of not being allowed to drive after my little trip to hospital came to an end yesterday

Unfortunately, the car's MoT expired while I was off the road, and it's been sat in the open being alternately frozen and thawed and generally gathering damp

I fired it up earlier and it took quite a bit of starting, but eventually I got it going. I ran it for about ten minutes in the hope that would help dry the engine out a bit, then set off down the road.

Of course, I managed to stall it at the first set of lights, and it was a real struggle to get it to fire up again

I managed to make it the mile up the road to the garage, and am now waiting for them to phone and tell me what it's failed on this year. However, I suspect that they might be delayed in actually doing the test by having to strip bits of the engine down to dry them out so they can get it to start...

Nice one Nick, hope you continue to be well.

My brother had a seizure (fit) on Christmas day similar to one he had about 10 years ago, no reason was determined then and he was off the road for 12 months and he is really naffed off cos he is now going to be off the road for another 12 months, he commutes about 50 miles a day to work.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Nice one Nick, hope you continue to be well.

My brother had a seizure (fit) on Christmas day similar to one he had about 10 years ago, no reason was determined then and he was off the road for 12 months and he is really naffed off cos he is now going to be off the road for another 12 months, he commutes about 50 miles a day to work.
      Thanks

Sorry to hear about your brother You never know, they might have made some medical advance that allows them to determine what the problem is and keep it under control, meaning he can get back on the move sooner. Fingers crossed.

Comment

My sister was off road for about 5 months. Big problem when you live in the country. There was a possibility she would not be allowed to drive but fortunately it was not as bad as they first thought.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          My 28 days of not being allowed to drive after my little trip to hospital came to an end yesterday

Unfortunately, the car's MoT expired while I was off the road, and it's been sat in the open being alternately frozen and thawed and generally gathering damp

I fired it up earlier and it took quite a bit of starting, but eventually I got it going. I ran it for about ten minutes in the hope that would help dry the engine out a bit, then set off down the road.

Of course, I managed to stall it at the first set of lights, and it was a real struggle to get it to fire up again

I managed to make it the mile up the road to the garage, and am now waiting for them to phone and tell me what it's failed on this year. However, I suspect that they might be delayed in actually doing the test by having to strip bits of the engine down to dry them out so they can get it to start...
          What! Surely the chauffeur should have sorted this out for you!

Tell the butler to sack the man & get the maid to readvertise the position. He was clearly an idiot.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            What! Surely the chauffeur should have sorted this out for you!

Tell the butler to sack the man & get the maid to readvertise the position. He was clearly an idiot.
            WMFS

And get Majordomo to handle such issues!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

That sounds way too stressful for a first venture out. Take it easy Nick.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Not being able to drive would really knacker my life come to think of it.

I have been thinking about something like this for a while.... The £125 per year option seems too good a deal to not bother with.....

Motoring continuity insurance application form - DriverPlan

Comment

Finally got the car back this afternoon, all welded up and MoTed and ready to begin it's twenty-third great year

Comment

Working...
                  X