• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax credits and limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax credits and limited company

Hi myself and my business partner have operated our limited company for a year in feb and currently take £115 in wages each but give ourselves a company loan of an extra £415 per week.. This in tuen means we qualify for working tax credits or so I'm told as long as we transfer the loans to dividends as of the start of the new tax year for which we will then pay corporation tax on.
    Can anyone tell me can we continue to claim working tax credits after the new tax year as we will still be on minimum wage next year and the company has already paid the taxes on the loan/ dividend payments??
    We assumed that as of the new tax year we would have to inform tax credits of the dividend payments and cease claiming but we have been told as we have already declared through the business we can continue to claim this??

Myself, despite what may be "legal" or whatever, I do not believe a contractor should manipulate their circumstances to claim benefits. It would appear to be the case here. Indeed, I understand that if HMRC deem that you have done this to claim benefits they will take action against you.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Myself, despite what may be "legal" or whatever, I do not believe a contractor should manipulate their circumstances to claim benefits. It would appear to be the case here. Indeed, I understand that if HMRC deem that you have done this to claim benefits they will take action against you.
      No not at all.. As I previously mentioned our income is totally transparent via Corporation taxes therefore we are and will be paying our taxes fair and square.
      As I previously mentioned we are on our first year of trading and as such havevtaken all advice from other professionals so how we can beheld accountable for any misgivings is beyond me
      It seems to me the way we are paying and operating is QUOTE : Normal in business

Comment

Working...
      X