PDA

View Full Version : Joanna Yeates sweepstake

Alf W
29th December 2010, 19:46
It's definitely not the Landord. No way. Hope the police don't victimise him.

Here. (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Joanna-Yeates-New-CCTV-Released-As-Landlord-Reports-Final-Sighting-Of-Murdered-Architect/Article/201012415873947?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15873947_Joanna_Yeates%3A_New_CCTV_Rel eased_As_Landlord_Reports_Final_Sighting_Of_Murder ed_Architect)

TimberWolf
29th December 2010, 20:27
If she was killed in her flat (by the landlord), the body would have had to have been removed stealthily, so on that basis I'm inclined to believe she wasn't killed there.

If she wasn't killed near where she was found, wouldn't it make more sense to leave her further away? Presumably a car would have been involved if she wasn't killed close by.

But if she was killed near where she was left, it raises the question of how she got there without a struggle.

Maybe she met someone she knew while walking back to her flat and got a lift?

TimberWolf
29th December 2010, 20:33
Come to think of it, was the pizza ever found?

Zippy
29th December 2010, 20:36
The "Bad Taste Thread of the Week" award goes to ...
:smile

scooterscot
29th December 2010, 21:18
WHS - Utterly tasteless to the ninth degree.

Paddy
29th December 2010, 21:26
I recon she was killed before she got to the flat. The murderer then took her phone etc to the flat in order to make a false trail. I believe it was a stalker and known to her.

AtW
29th December 2010, 21:28
Alf W is a sick ****.

Labour supporter as well :sick

wobbegong
29th December 2010, 21:29
My money's on 'the boyfriend'.

Clippy
29th December 2010, 22:13

WTS

MaryPoppins
29th December 2010, 23:12
I agree this thread is in rather poor taste.

worzelGummidge
29th December 2010, 23:23
I suggest that this is left to the experts rather than an IT forum.
This sort of thing does not normally happen in Bristol and it is a bit of a shock.
The area and indeed city is quite laid back and Clifton in particular is a lovely place.
It is all a bit sad.

realityhack
30th December 2010, 01:09
Hmm. Alf - you win the 'Bad taste thread of the year 2010' prize.

But something about this case has got quite a few friends talking... and the consensus is either a random crazy or someone local, known to her. And what's with the pizza, & leaving without her keys?

Clifton's a lovely part of Bristol - a proper shame to have this happen. Hope they catch the bastard(s).

wobbegong
30th December 2010, 01:47
Re: the "Joanna Yeates sweepstake" thread, Realityhack, you have closed this thread on purely personal grounds, i.e. that you found it offensive and distasteful.

I respect you as a moderator and as an artist (I recall swapping ideas for the "Fleetyteach" smiley), and while I agree in principle, I would remind you that, a) this is a "forum" in which subjects are discussed and debated, not merely censured. and b) we have over the years debated and hypothesised over equally contentious and emotive issues such as the killing of Jean Charles DeMenezes, David Kelly and indeed such public figures as Diana and Benazir Bhutto.

I personally don't see this thread as anything different, merely opening up to debate the speculation of guilt that will no doubt rage in the public press for weeks to come.

EDIT: Since writing this, the thread is now unlocked. Well done RH.

realityhack
30th December 2010, 02:06
Erm, wobbly, I never had any intention of locking it - only noticed I did it accidentally a few mins later and unlocked! Sorry to cause righteous steam to emanate from yer ears. :happy

wobbegong
30th December 2010, 02:18
Erm, wobbly, I never had any intention of locking it - only noticed I did it accidentally a few mins later and unlocked! Sorry to cause righteous steam to emanate from yer ears. :happy

No problem RH, I think we were both a bit too quick off the mark there.

:wave:

NickFitz
30th December 2010, 03:34
I think this thread is in the foulest taste. I know people think "Oh, it's the internet, who gives a shit, nobody to whom it matters will see it anyway" but that is a juvenile attitude and betrays technological ignorance. Google picks up on this stuff very rapidly nowadays and there is a distinct possibility that somebody who knew her will see this thread appear in their search results as they seek for potentially useful information.

Piss in your own internet Alf, but don't piss in everybody else's.

Cliphead
30th December 2010, 08:35
A 65 year old man has been arrested, how old is the landlord?

Zippy
30th December 2010, 08:39
A 65 year old man has been arrested, how old is the landlord?

Take a wild guess ...

wxman
30th December 2010, 08:39
Is IS the landlord that has been arrested.

Linky (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Joanna-Yeates-Murder-Man-Held/Article/201012415874586?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15874586_Joanna_Yeates_Murder%3A_Man_H eld)

Wilmslow
30th December 2010, 08:40

It is hard to get a good quality Good Taste pizza this side of Milan......

MarillionFan
30th December 2010, 08:42
I'm going for the landlord.

Here. (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Joanna-Yeates-New-CCTV-Released-As-Landlord-Reports-Final-Sighting-Of-Murdered-Architect/Article/201012415873947?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15873947_Joanna_Yeates%3A_New_CCTV_Rel eased_As_Landlord_Reports_Final_Sighting_Of_Murder ed_Architect)

Hadn't read this thread, but having read the papers this morning. Landlord became No 1 suspect as he had been telling everyone about seeing her, was the only one but was vague on details and talking to the press. He also looked iffy.

And looks like you may be correct as BBC News - Man arrested in Joanna Yeates murder inquiry (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12092600)

MarillionFan
30th December 2010, 08:47

WTS

I agree this thread is in rather poor taste.

I think this thread is in the foulest taste. I know people think "Oh, it's the internet, who gives a tulip, nobody to whom it matters will see it anyway" but that is a juvenile attitude and betrays technological ignorance. Google picks up on this stuff very rapidly nowadays and there is a distinct possibility that somebody who knew her will see this thread appear in their search results as they seek for potentially useful information.

Piss in your own internet Alf, but don't piss in everybody else's.

Bloody bunch of bedwetters. Of course it's a tasteless thread. Minestrone normally does these first.

This will be discussed all over the internet, same as a fishmongers wife gossips or tittle tattle down the pub. Nick your such a billy bandwagoner. Get off your high horse before an animal riots protestor pulls you off.

You wait until the usual run of internet jokes appear.:eyes

MaryPoppins
30th December 2010, 08:57
I suggest that this is left to the experts rather than an IT forum.
This sort of thing does not normally happen in Bristol and it is a bit of a shock.
The area and indeed city is quite laid back and Clifton in particular is a lovely place.
It is all a bit sad.

Indeed. Very sad.

d000hg
30th December 2010, 10:02
I don't even think it's that tasteless, the thread has stuck on-topic more like trying to solve a mystery rather than making crass jokes (so far).

TimberWolf
30th December 2010, 10:11
Hadn't read this thread, but having read the papers this morning. Landlord became No 1 suspect as he had been telling everyone about seeing her, was the only one but was vague on details and talking to the press. He also looked iffy.

And looks like you may be correct as BBC News - Man arrested in Joanna Yeates murder inquiry (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12092600)

How awful that the press are reporting this news. Don't they realise how easy it is for people wishing to know about it to buy newspapers?

ilovehr
30th December 2010, 10:59
That the man they've arrested is the landlord! So the OP was right on the money..... (allegedly)

VectraMan
30th December 2010, 11:27
That the man they've arrested is the landlord! So the OP was right on the money..... (allegedly)

I hope he is guilty, or they've probably ruined his life by posting his image all over the front page.

Why is this one case getting so much press attention? Is this the only missing person/murder case currently happening?

AtW
30th December 2010, 11:31
I hope he is guilty, or they've probably ruined his life by posting his image all over the front page.

They sure made him look evil ... :ind

KentPhilip
30th December 2010, 11:40
You wait until the usual run of internet jokes appear.:eyes

You can tell Joanna Yeates was a blonde, can't you, because on the back of the pizza she bought it read: "for best results cook while frozen"

...Nice start by sickipedia.org :sick

TimberWolf
30th December 2010, 11:45
Why is this one case getting so much press attention? Is this the only missing person/murder case currently happening?

I was wondering about that too. According to this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2008/12/teen_homicide.html) page:

On an average day in Britain, two or three people will be murdered - a homicide rate equivalent to the mid-Victorian period.

Perhaps it's the mystery/unsolved element of this case?

Clippy
30th December 2010, 12:56
You can tell Joanna Yeates was a blonde, can't you, because on the back of the pizza she bought it read: "for best results cook while frozen"

...Nice start by sickipedia.org :sick

Not as funny as your first ever joke on this forum when you created a webpage, with a creepy picture of yourself, offering your "contracting services" to clients.

You should submit that to sickipedia. :wink

KentPhilip
30th December 2010, 13:43
Not as funny as your first ever joke on this forum when you created a webpage, with a creepy picture of yourself, offering your "contracting services" to clients.

You should submit that to sickipedia. :wink

Darn - I knew I should have put some clothes on for that shot...

http://www.dietpillsjudged.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fat_man_on_computer-300x203.jpg

OwlHoot
30th December 2010, 15:05

http://www.dietpillsjudged.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fat_man_on_computer-300x203.jpg

Christ, how does that tiny chair hold his weight? It must be made of titanium alloy. :laugh

Clippy
30th December 2010, 15:45

Your real picture was far more gruesome. :puke:

CheeseSlice
31st December 2010, 13:23
Landlord is definitely the frontrunner.

The media are loving this guy.. he has all of the right weirdo qualities to make him guilty without trial.
I wonder how many old ladies have said that he 'has evil eyes'.

Joanna Yeates murder: suspect Christopher Jefferies 'let himself into tenants' flat' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8232412/Joanna-Yeates-murder-suspect-Christopher-Jefferies-let-himself-into-tenants-flat.html)

The main suspect in the murder of Joanna Yeates used to enter his flats unannounced, two ex-tenants have claimed.

shaunbhoy
31st December 2010, 14:41
The main suspect in the murder of Joanna Yeates used to enter his flats unannounced, two ex-tenants have claimed.

Not that I am taking this guy's side or anything, but is this sort of behaviour all that unusual for a landlord?

TimberWolf
31st December 2010, 14:44
If it was him, where's the pizza? Or is that a red herring, e.g. she died on a different day, after bin day. And how does such a man, not exactly built like Rambo, overpower a women in her prime, without a struggle even being detected (although I suppose things could have been tidied up)?

AtW
31st December 2010, 14:45
Not that I am taking this guy's side or anything, but is this sort of behaviour all that unusual for a landlord?

It wasn't with my 2nd landlady who sued me for alleged damages, lost in court and then threatened to kill me on my way out of court... police took the statement and did not do feck all :eyes

Doggy Styles
31st December 2010, 15:15
According to those who know him, the landlord shops around the corner and so wouldn't have done it through sexual motives.

Doggy Styles
31st December 2010, 15:18
Another thing - did the boyfriend really go away, making such a fanfare about his car not starting so he had several witnesses? Or was he setting up an alibi?

Zippy
31st December 2010, 15:24

Yes it is. You are entitled to 'peaceful enjoyment of your home' which includes not having the landlord walking in whenever s/he likes.

AtW
31st December 2010, 15:26
Yes it is. You are entitled to 'peaceful enjoyment of your home' which includes not having the landlord walking in whenever s/he likes.

That's the law dear Zippy, but real life is different... my ex-ex-landlady changed locks in the house in which I rented room without telling anyone and she was not happy I called her at 11pm saying I can't get in!

I was pished at the time so thought got into wrong place :ind

VectraMan
31st December 2010, 15:37

Absolutely. In no way are landlords allowed to just wander in. I've hardly seen mine in 5 years.

MarillionFan
31st December 2010, 15:41
Absolutely. In no way are landlords allowed to just wander in. I've hardly seen mine in 5 years.

That's because he makes sure you're out before dropping around and popping your toothbrush up his jacksy.:eek:

Zippy
31st December 2010, 15:42
I was pished at the time so thought got into wrong place :ind

I'd have paid good money to see that :laugh

VectraMan
31st December 2010, 15:43
That's because he makes sure you're out before dropping around and popping your toothbrush up his jacksy.:eek:

Maybe Joanna Yeates caught him doing that. :eek:

CheeseSlice
31st December 2010, 15:44
Another thing - did the boyfriend really go away, making such a fanfare about his car not starting so he had several witnesses? Or was he setting up an alibi?

There was an interesting quote in the Daily Wail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340586/Boyfriend-missing-architect-Jo-Yeates-sobs-I-want-Christmas.html) last week.

Her boyfriend was quoted as saying "She was my future".. and this is before they found her body or knew she was even dead :eyes

VectraMan
31st December 2010, 15:48
There was an interesting quote in the Daily Wail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340586/Boyfriend-missing-architect-Jo-Yeates-sobs-I-want-Christmas.html) last week.

Her boyfriend was quoted as saying "She was my future".. and this is before they found her body or knew she was even dead :eyes

It seemed to me that the parents were awfully certain that she had been abducted and would turn up dead when she was still just missing.

MarillionFan
31st December 2010, 15:50
It seemed to me that the parents were awfully certain that she had been abducted and would turn up dead when she was still just missing.

So you're plumping for the parents now.

Zippy
31st December 2010, 15:51

That Greek(?) landlord from Royston Vasey came to mind when I read the news story earlier. :puke:
This is in no way intended to imply that the bloke had anything to do with it.

VectraMan
31st December 2010, 15:55
So you're plumping for the parents now.

Yes, I'll have the parents in the sweepstake.

MarillionFan
31st December 2010, 16:01
Yes, I'll have the parents in the sweepstake.

Which one?

YouTube - daisy harris 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8J-GEXn7_E&feature=related)

(BTW. Classic Monkey Dust. Don't watch this if you are easily offended. Pretty spot on though.)

AtW
31st December 2010, 16:10
I'd have paid good money to see that :laugh

Make "pished" to be "really drunk" - she changed whole door, not just locks - not exactly what you want to see at 11pm :sick

AtW
31st December 2010, 16:12
That Greek(?) landlord from Royston Vasey

:spel

Young Ones

Well, he was pretending to be Russian...

derekthedalek
31st December 2010, 16:13
If it had been a lizard he would have eaten her, so you can eliminate zeitghost.

Ardesco
31st December 2010, 16:17

Looking at the pic he looks wider than the doorway, must be interesting watching him try to squeeze himself into the toilet when he's desperate to go....

scooterscot
2nd January 2011, 02:10

Mr Reardon added: "Jo’s life was cut short tragically but the finger-pointing and character assassination by social and news media of as yet innocent men has been shameful.
"It has made me lose a lot of faith in the morality of the British Press and those that spend their time fixed to the internet in this modern age.
"I hope in the future, they will show a more sensitive and impartial view to those involved in such heartbreaking events

Joanna Yeates's landlord released on bail - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8235649/Joanna-Yeatess-landlord-released-on-bail.html)

NickFitz
2nd January 2011, 07:29
Mr Reardon added: "Jo’s life was cut short tragically but the finger-pointing and character assassination by social and news media of as yet innocent men has been shameful.

"It has made me lose a lot of faith in the morality of the British Press and those that spend their time fixed to the internet in this modern age.

"I hope in the future, they will show a more sensitive and impartial view to those involved in such heartbreaking events."

Joanna Yeates's landlord released on bail - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8235649/Joanna-Yeatess-landlord-released-on-bail.html)

WHS.

Alf W
2nd January 2011, 10:06

"I hope in the future, they will show a more sensitive and impartial view to those involved in such heartbreaking events

Posted at ten past two in the morning!

MarillionFan
2nd January 2011, 10:11
Posted at ten past two in the morning!

Are you suggesting that he may be an 'Internet obssessed loner' who 'prowls cyberspace in the dark hours' searching for 'gruesome & distrubing stories about murder & abduction'???

My GOD! That can only mean! :eek::rolleyes:

TimberWolf
2nd January 2011, 10:37
Having made a huge story out of this awful event, the press now make a huge story out of how the press made a huge story out of it, and then try to understand why the public are so interested in it.

MarillionFan
2nd January 2011, 10:43
Having made a huge story out of this awful event, the press now make a huge story out of how the press made a huge story out of it, and then try to understand why the public are so interested in it.

Even by the Suns standards it was some incredible(lazy) journalism.

Headlines which included

'Friend with a paedophile'. The guy had worked with another teacher who groomed a pupil for sex. The teacher was jailed and sold his flat to the landlord back in 1999, who rented it to Jo Yeates(hence you get paedophile friend)

'Death Obsessed' - Bearing in mind this guy was also an historian. A former pupil said he showed them 'sickening film's of concentration camps as part of school projects. Hence he was a death obssessed Nazi.

Loner. Obsessed. Wierdo. Blue rinsed hair. Intellectual. Snobbish. Pedantic(would correct people on grammer/spelling). New everyone elses business in the flats. Remind you of anyone?:rollin:

TimberWolf
2nd January 2011, 10:52
I must admit I found it curious that the landlord was arrested, i.e. the reason for it other than his blue hair. Surely they must have had a reason. I wonder, roughly, what percentage of people are arrested only to be found innocent?

Zippy
2nd January 2011, 12:41
Loner. Obsessed. Wierdo. Blue rinsed hair. Intellectual. Snobbish. Pedantic(would correct people on grammer/spelling). New everyone elses business in the flats. Remind you of anyone?:rollin:

About 50% of the posters on here? Guilty as charged (except for the blue rinse).

mudskipper
2nd January 2011, 12:45
Pedantic(would correct people on grammar/spelling). Knew everyone else's business in the flats.

:spel

Remind you of anyone?:rollin:

Nope...

centurian
2nd January 2011, 13:17
I must admit I found it curious that the landlord was arrested, i.e. the reason for it other than his blue hair. Surely they must have had a reason. I wonder, roughly, what percentage of people are arrested only to be found innocent?

I get the impression that the threshold for an arrest has gone down in recent times - or as Harry Redknapp said "They have to arrest you to talk to you"

Police arrest Harry Redknapp over transfer dealings at Portsmouth | Football - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2963738.ece)

I wonder if part of the drive behind this was that once you are arrested, your fingerprints and DNA got taken (and retained, even if you were released without charge), plus you had a record on the PNC retained. Given the past governments record on wanting to record everything about us - this was probably encouraged from the top down.

TimberWolf
2nd January 2011, 13:42
I notice these days the first thing they do is take your PC away to have the hard drive forensically examined. Likewise your ISP probably has to supply your surfing history and email contacts. Who was it who famously said something like any 3 of my sentences would be enough to hang me?

centurian
2nd January 2011, 14:47
And can anyone on here say that they have never visited a site that can be construed as the least bit morally dodgy - even accidentally.

Now the definition of moral can be hard to pin down - but that's just the point. Unless you stick to the mainstream in every definition (which hardly anyone does), any action can lead to increased suspicion or criticism.

Paddy
2nd January 2011, 22:58
BBC - Glenis Carruthers murder police say DNA is key (http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8483000/8483532.stm)

Glenis Carruthers student teacher, 20, was strangled and now evidence from the crime scene is being re-examined in Forensic Science Service laboratories.

Avon and Somerset Police's major crime review team has also made a new appeal for information.

Freamon
2nd January 2011, 23:09
Joanna Yeates's killer 'still at large', police warn - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8236191/Joanna-Yeatess-killer-still-at-large-police-warn.html)

Police hunting the killer of Joanna Yeates last night issued a warning to women in the Bristol area not to walk home alone telling residents – “whoever killed Jo remains at large”.

Not sure I quite understand this. Are they saying Chris Jefferies is no longer the main suspect? Or are they saying that, since he's been released, that now means the killer is definitely "at large"?

Chief Supt Stratford said there was no specific intelligence to suggest there was a serial killer on the loose and insisted the warnings were simply routine safety precautions.

Routine attempts to keep the general population in a permanent state of fear and justify their existence, more like it.

Doggy Styles
2nd January 2011, 23:26
It was the one-armed man.

Paddy
2nd January 2011, 23:29
Not sure I quite understand this. Are they saying Chris Jefferies is no longer the main suspect? Or are they saying that, since he's been released, that now means the killer is definitely "at large"?

Routine attempts to keep the general population in a permanent state of fear and justify their existence, more like it.

After reading details of the Glenis Carruthers case I suspect it’s down to DNA testing for both cases.

TimberWolf
3rd January 2011, 00:06
I wouldn't mind knowing whether she had another set of keys on her, etc, since without knowing things like that it's nigh impossible to speculate. Being attacked on the way back from the pizza place (who don't remember serving her) would have been the most obvious conclusion, but not if she had no keys (a third set) with her, or other arrangements, to get in to her flat.

Freamon
3rd January 2011, 00:23
One view on the media handling of the Chris Jefferies story...

Chris Jefferies and trial by media « Enemies of Reason (http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/2011/01/02/chris-jefferies-and-trial-by-media/)

http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/jefferies2.png

At the time of writing, Chris Jefferies has not been charged with any crime.

His photograph has appeared on the front page of national newspapers 11 times. He was described as "weird", "lewd", "strange", "creepy", "angry", "odd", "disturbing", "eccentric", "a loner" and "unusual" in the course of just one article (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3324998/The-strange-Mr-Jefferies-is-Joanna-Yeates-murder-suspect.html). That the former English teacher should have liked the classic Oscar Wilde poem The Ballad of Reading Gaol was described by one article as "Chris Jefferies' favourite poem was about killing wife (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/01/02/joanna-yeates-murder-investigation-chris-jefferies-favourite-poem-was-about-killing-wife-115875-22820613/)". That the teacher should have taught pupils about the horror of the Holocaust and a classic novel by Wilkie Collins was described as him being "obsessed with death". He was accused of being a 'peeping tom' by people who never made a complaint to police about his activities (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/12/31/joanna-yeates-murder-investigation-suspect-chris-jefferies-spied-on-tenants-115875-22816665/). One front-page headline asked of the landlord "Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?" and the next day asked "Was Jo's body hidden next to her flat?" next to a picture of him.

Jefferies' sexuality has been discussed in couched terms - the Telegraph, among others, used the rather antiquated euphemism 'confirmed bachelor' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8231786/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Christopher-Jefferies-profile.html) - while the Sun simply quoted a former pupil saying "He was very flamboyant. We were convinced he was gay" and then followed it up with the sentence "You didn't want him to come near you." His blue-rinse hair has been discussed as 'an affectation'.

There are arguments about the public interest when it comes to a murder case; there are counter arguments about speculation and lurid intrusion into anyone's private life, especially when they haven't been charged with any crime. It's clear that Jefferies' character and lifestyle has come under huge scrutiny and it benefits the public very little to know any of this. Now is a time full of speculation and implication, of innuendo and finger-pointing; you might hope that the established media could demonstrate more restraint and subtlety than the blogosphere, proving their journalistic credentials and why they should be trusted news sources, but what we are left with from many sources is a trail of smearing and sneering.

There's something else: if you were a former pupil of Jefferies and you wanted to make a few quid, what kind of stories would you tell? The benign ones about his tutorship or professionalism, or the most sinister-sounding things you could think of? If you approached a tabloid wanting to tell them that this person was a really good egg, an excellent teacher and not weird at all, would they be interested? Would they run it? If they wouldn't, what would that say about the balance and equivalence in the stories about him? Are they all leaning to one direction because of the need to sex up the story, to make the figure under suspicion appear as strange as possible?

There may be parallels in the coverage with the trials by media undergone by Colin Stagg, Robert Murat, Barry George, the parents of Madeleine McCann and the first man to be accused of the Ipswich murders of 2006 (who was later released without charge). Some people do not fit in to orthodox ways of life, or may appear different, eccentric, whatever; some people don't act in the same way you or I might think we would act under similar circumstances. Some people are easy targets. You have to wonder whether some elements of the press have short memories or whether they don't care about the swirl of innuendo surrounding Chris Jefferies; whether flogging a few papers now on the back of a popular news story is more important than treating someone fairly; whether, even, they take a punt on some people, writing off possible legal costs against the benefit of extra sales.

I don't think prejudicing a possible fair trial in the future is the issue in these cases as juries do decide matters of fact based on the available information provided in the courtroom. But I think character assassination and targeting aspects of people's private lives, producing only stories that portray someone in a negative light, all at a time when they are unable to respond to accusations that are made against them, is unfair and inaccurate. I don't think anyone, a murder suspect or a murder victim, should be fair game to have their life turned upside down in public. But what do I know? Someone will turn up in the comments, as someone always does, saying "It sells papers". Maybe it does. But maybe that still doesn't make it the right thing to do.

scooterscot
3rd January 2011, 00:45
If it's in the sun it must be true.....

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

Paddy
3rd January 2011, 16:48
Yet another extraordinary coincidence with the Glenis Carruthers murder. Both were not sexually assaulted.

BBC News - Jo Yeates murder: 'No sign of sex assault' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12108338)

Freamon
6th January 2011, 23:00
Joanna Yeates murder: Christopher Jefferies may sue police for wrongful arrest - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8242526/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Christopher-Jefferies-may-sue-police-for-wrongful-arrest.html)

:eyes

Alf W
6th January 2011, 23:09

As I said from the very start. If he get litigious some people are going to be very sorry indeed.

Clippy
6th January 2011, 23:15
As I said from the very start. If he get litigious some people are going to be very sorry indeed.

Thank you Google cache (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lgkGA-iAmh4J:forums.contractoruk.com/general/62464-joanna-yeates-sweepstake.html+joanna+yeates+site:forums.contract oruk.com&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk). :wink

AtW
7th January 2011, 00:54
Thank you Google cache (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lgkGA-iAmh4J:forums.contractoruk.com/general/62464-joanna-yeates-sweepstake.html+joanna+yeates+site:forums.contract oruk.com&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk). :wink

:rollin:

Alf is totally ****ed. I hear they've got special prisons for Nu Liebor supporters...

NickFitz
7th January 2011, 02:17

Well played, sir :yay:

TimberWolf
7th January 2011, 09:31
The media make the news. Sometimes to such a degree that its hard to parse the sentence in which they are attempting to create news: Paedophile colleague of Joanna Yeates murder suspect Chris Jefferies abused boy at the flat where Jo lived - mirror.co.uk (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/12/31/paedophile-colleague-of-joanna-yeates-murder-suspect-chris-jefferies-abused-boy-at-the-flat-where-jo-lived-115875-22816595/). :confused: Currently the Sun is making news out its reward, while the Guardian makes news out of how bad squalid the Sun is in doing so. So my news is that the news that the news makes news is my news.

MarillionFan
7th January 2011, 09:45
Well played, sir :yay:

Isn't it funny what some people are offended by and others aren't. :eyes

minestrone
7th January 2011, 11:41
The police only dragged him in because he is old bachelor with a parka and a massive comb over.

Based on that form of justice I think half the people on this board should hope their neighbour does not get murdered.

The police obviously think he done it but don't have anything on him, I think they panicked when the publicity was not going well and hoped they could get him to break after a few days in the cells.

KentPhilip
7th January 2011, 11:56
The police only dragged him in because he is old bachelor with a parka and a massive comb over.

Based on that form of justice I think half the people on this board should hope their neighbour does not get murdered.

The police obviously think he done it but don't have anything on him, I think they panicked when the publicity was not going well and hoped they could get him to break after a few days in the cells.

I reckon the police never thought it was Jeffries at all, and they just wanted to give the impression to the real killer, who I think is Peter Stanley (the other neighbour) that they were not on his scent. Notice the police were having words with him while Jeffries was in custody.
A mean blighter isn't he, so its got to be 'im init?
Well he LOOKS mean, doesn't he :devil

Peter Stanley Pictures - Key Scenes From Jo Yeates Murder Case - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/EqOFurheX4w/Key+Scenes+Jo+Yeates+Murder+Case/KI4A1d2iEny/Peter+Stanley)

Alf W
7th March 2011, 10:24

See. I said right from the start it couldn't have been him.

Joanna Yeates' Landlord Chris Jeffries Is Released From Bail Without Charge | UK News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Joanna-Yeates-Landlord-Chris-Jeffries-Is-Released-From-Bail-Without-Charge/Article/201103115947098?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article _Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15947098_Joanna_Yeates_Landlord_Chris_ Jeffries_Is_Released_From_Bail_Without_Charge)

Spacecadet
7th March 2011, 10:57
See. I said right from the start it couldn't have been him.

Joanna Yeates' Landlord Chris Jeffries Is Released From Bail Without Charge | UK News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Joanna-Yeates-Landlord-Chris-Jeffries-Is-Released-From-Bail-Without-Charge/Article/201103115947098?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article _Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15947098_Joanna_Yeates_Landlord_Chris_ Jeffries_Is_Released_From_Bail_Without_Charge)

Well done, have a banana
:banana:

TimberWolf
7th March 2011, 10:59
Well done, have a banana
:banana:

Last edited by Alf W; 6th January 2011 at 23:07.

I think Alf was busted for his unedited comment somewhere in this thread. I however was the first to cast doubt on the landlord's guilt, even as he was being arrested.

Alf W
5th May 2011, 11:08
Dutch lad's pleaded guilty now (albeit for manslaughter rather than murder).

Bet those of you who were quick to pin it on the landlord are feeling pretty silly right now.

TimberWolf
5th May 2011, 11:19
A post-mortem test revealed she had been strangled.

Ah, I didn't know that.

...has admitted manslaughter but denied murder.

wtf

The prosecution has refused to accept Tabak's manslaughter plea and a murder trial will go ahead on 4 October.

wts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13290187

russell
5th May 2011, 11:28
Ah, I didn't know that.

wtf

wts

BBC News - Jo Yeates: Vincent Tabak admits manslaughter (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13290187)

What about the pizza, was it ever found?

PAH
5th May 2011, 11:39
If he's admitting manslaughter but not murder maybe she went round to his with that missing pizza and a sex game went wrong resulting in her strangulation, he panicked and dumped her body.

Sounds plausible to me if that's the kind of picture the defence are going to paint.

Though not sure if say she did a Hutchence or Carradine and he then dumped the body if it's possible to be done for manslaughter after an accidental death, so he's probably more involved than that.

Maybe he's a stalker who lost it when she wouldn't entertain his mad thoughts, so is pleading manslaughter due to 'diminished responsibility'. :rolleyes:

Pondlife
5th May 2011, 11:57
Maybe he's a stalker who lost it when she wouldn't entertain his mad thoughts, so is pleading manslaughter due to 'diminished responsibility'. :rolleyes:

What part of pepperoni and jalepenos don't you understand. PESTO FFS! :tantrum:

Yeah, I can see what you mean PAH.

TimberWolf
5th May 2011, 14:39
It's been announced he [Jo Yeates' Landlord] is now taking legal action against The Sun, the Daily Mirror, the Daily Mail, the Daily Express, the Daily Star, the Daily Record over a number of articles they published about him and further action could taken against local newspapers.

Jo Yeates Landlord To Sue Press | Bristol's News | Bristol News Centre - 106 JACK fm - Playing What We Want (http://www.jackbristol.com/newscentre/bristols-news/jo-yeates-landlord-to-sue-press-5959)

TykeMerc
5th May 2011, 14:47
Jo Yeates Landlord To Sue Press | Bristol's News | Bristol News Centre - 106 JACK fm - Playing What We Want (http://www.jackbristol.com/newscentre/bristols-news/jo-yeates-landlord-to-sue-press-5959)

I hope he wins, the press get to sell papers on sensationalist, intrusive and in this case untrue rubbish, it would be easy to argue that this bloke has suffered damage as a result of the stories.

AtW
5th May 2011, 14:51
it would be easy to argue that this bloke has suffered damage as a result of the stories.

Yes that would be easy, the hard part would be to argue that newspapers lied in those stories - they'd probably settle though.

russell
5th May 2011, 14:51
I hope he wins, the press get to sell papers on sensationalist, intrusive and in this case untrue rubbish, it would be easy to argue that this bloke has suffered damage as a result of the stories.

Thats rich coming from you , a complete moron who accuses people of being sockies with NO proof.

AtW
5th May 2011, 14:52
Thats rich coming from you , a complete moron who accuses people of being sockies with NO proof.

What damage did it cause to you by being allegedly incorrectly labelled as a sockie?

;)

russell
5th May 2011, 14:54
What damage did it cause to you by being allegedly incorrectly labelled as a sockie?

;)

A lot, im setting up a support group Sockies Accused Anonymous

AtW
5th May 2011, 14:56
A lot, im setting up a support group Sockies Accused Ananymous

Well, you've just blown your case - since you are anonymous, or in other words wrong words can't be traced to real life person then your case is over.

You also can't spell it seems - that is something you have in common with sasguru who isn't posting today for some reason...

russell
28th October 2011, 19:03
Tabak got banged up for murder, hopefully I won't have to hear "The landscape architect Joanna Yates...." again.

stek
28th October 2011, 20:41
Tabak got banged up for murder, hopefully I won't have to hear "The landscape architect Joanna Yates...." again.

Why not. She was brutally murdered for your 15 mins of entertainment it seems, let her have her 15 mins of fame before she's another forgotten statistic.

Freamon
28th October 2011, 22:11
Things have gone oddly quiet on the story of the landlord. Either this means that some parts of the press have paid him off, or they do have something on him they're threatening to reveal if he kicks up a fuss about their original articles on him.

cojak
29th October 2011, 08:05
I remember that he was threatening to sue earier in the year. They've probably paid out a big whack before they got crucifed again.

PAH
29th October 2011, 11:17
The landlord was on the news last night being interviewed about how the accusations affected him.

Still an odd fellow.

Though if oddness infers guilt that may explain why certain 'characters' only appear on CUK sporadically. When they get day release. ;)

russell
29th October 2011, 12:04
Why not. She was brutally murdered for your 15 mins of entertainment it seems, let her have her 15 mins of fame before she's another forgotten statistic.

Plenty of murders happen every week, this one got 15 months of fame. If she was black or from Sasgurus estate we wouldnt have heard about it.

SueEllen
29th October 2011, 12:32
Plenty of murders happen every week, this one got 15 months of fame. If she was black or from Sasgurus estate we wouldnt have heard about it.

Depends on how interesting the story is and whether it's doing the rounds on twitter.

The press are really lazy........

MarillionFan
3rd November 2011, 21:51
Things have gone oddly quiet on the story of the landlord. Either this means that some parts of the press have paid him off, or they do have something on him they're threatening to reveal if he kicks up a fuss about their original articles on him.

They all settled out of court.

Interesting in crime watch tonight they say Tabak had pointed the finger at landlord about moving his car on the night of the murder. They only let the landlord go when his DNA did not match.

gingerjedi
3rd November 2011, 21:55

He sued 7 papers and won, he also gave an interview on R4 the other morning though I didn't hear it as I arrived at client site before he was on.