• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

from dba to management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from dba to management

Hi

I am a full time / permanent employed ,my long term goal is to become CEO.

I wondered if anyone know of a good strategy,

thanks
    C
    Last edited by calacik; 7 February 2011, 20:44.

Welcome to CUK, calacik. In the vanishingly remote chance you're a genuine newbie, I'll let this one through. Any sock-like antics will encounter zero tolerance. Good luck with your MBA.

Do you like films about gladiators?

Comment

Assuming non sockie status...

The obvious route is leading other DBA's, heading technical teams on projects, business/systems analysis, bits of project management, technical management etc.

MBA? I've considered it several times in the last few years, but I doubt I'd gain a lot out of it as I'm already an experienced manager. I tend to think that good management isn't learned in a classroom or from books, you can't beat experience.

Comment

I can tell you from experience that bar management can be tremendous fun. You earn jack tulip and you learn what it's like to get stitches in your face from a punch but, by all accounts, it's better than retail stores where incompetent managers let heavy goods drop on your head and cause concussion.

HTH, YMMV, HAND

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
          Hi

I am a full time / permanent dba ,my long term goal is to become CEO or have my own business in 10-20 years time.

up until yesterday I always though of doing an MBA and making my way into management in couple of years time ( this also means going thru paycut ...) but today i thought maybe i should start a part time job ( weekend job or even 2 or 3 evenings a week) in management, this could be working in a bar as a manager, retail shops or anywhere else( any thoughts or ideas are welcomed).

I wondered if this is a good strategy, and whether it be easy for one like me to break into management in this fashion?

and if its worth the effort?
          im not doing this purely for money but its also for gaining management experience, knowlege of managing people, and gaining business knowledge.

thanks
          C
          being a good/great manager is not something you learn, it's something you are....... in most cases in IT, companies keep promoting great technical staff in order to keep them and they end up either as bad managers or doing something they don't enjoy.

personally, I wouldn't bother with an MBA or doing the part time stuff. Are you considered a leader within your team? do you lead by example? do people come to you for help/advice? are you next in line for a management position when your team leader/manager moves on? have you spoke to your team leader/manager about opportunities in your area? got candid 360 feedback on your skills?

basically, if you can't tick all those boxes already, it's either

A: A pipe dream
          B: you aren't ready for it
          C: you will never be ready for it

sorry to be harsh(ish), but i'm talking from experience here!

GL
          Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

An MBA will be of no use if you have no management experience. Most people who do MBAs don't do it for the content, they do it for the networking.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

the MBA strategy is the way to go. Take the pay cut and get those letters after your name. They can take your freedom, they can take your spirit and they can take the p1ss, but they can never take your qualifications - M. Gibson Brave@rse 2008 . The ultimate objective here is to do what you enjoy doing whilst earning a big wodge, and we all know that management or ownership is the way to achieve this so I would suggest taking the DBA management path, take the money and forget the MBA, courses are for horses

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                Most people who do MBAs don't do it for the content, they do it for the networking.
                B0ll0x.

AtW

Stanford/Harvard MBA Class 1999 Reject

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  B0ll0x.

AtW

Stanford/Harvard MBA Class 1999 Reject
                  Most people.
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

what you doing all that for?
                    'You don't want to do it like that.' You don't want to become a CEO. You want to be at the other end of the tree. down the bottom. Don't manage anyone. Mon - Fri 9ish to 5:30ish is fine with me. To be honest that's too much but what are you going to do?
                    Really can't be bothered with the hassle.
                    Got better things to do with my time then work up the organisational hierarchy. All a load of tosh anyway.

is it time to go home yet?

CONTRACTING RULES.

Comment

Working...
                    X