• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online games - how do they work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online games - how do they work?

Trying to write a short story about a couple of gay online game fanatics who live next door to each other and agree to resolve a trivial real life disagreement over a boundary according to the outcome of an online game. This blurring of the virtual and the real in their relationship escalates towards a doubtless horribly gory and/or pervy outcome which I haven't quite sorted out yet.

Problem is, I have never been into computer games and never tried online ones like World of Warcraft or these other things with lots of monsters you see advertised on TV and have no idea of the details to make it real. So how does it work? Eg, do you pay for a complete download with unlimited use or pay for a session? Can you identify specific individuals by ID/avatar and challenge them to specific fights? What sort of scenes do you get? How do you control your weapons etc?

Found this wikipedia thing on WOW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Any other tips/links (preferably a bit more succinct than that one) to make the story halfway realistic (right!) much appreciated.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 December 2010, 22:25.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Watch a few episodes of this for a light-hearted look at interactions outside of online gaming. Best starting at episode 1.

That might give you some ideas.

Comment

I think most games require monthly subscriptions, though some games offer free subscriptions and make money by those buying premium subs. Often, special items can be bought using real money e.g "$1 for sword of the mighty Zordon".
      You may or may not have to pay to buy the game in the first place.

You could also look up the South Park episode: Make Love, Not Warcraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you can find it online somewhere.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Good stuff there cheers. I saw that SP episode, no 1 son may have it somewhere.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

How the psychology works

Some useful info at ehow, in particular a note on subscriptions.

Maybe it would be a good idea to immerse yourself in the culture by actually joining it?

An old parody of the original online gaming form, which is instructive, and very funny. FWIW.

Originally posted by Parody
          :
          Churchill: lol no more france for u hitler
          Hitler[AoE]: tojo help me!
          T0J0: wtf u want me to do, im on the other side of the world retard
          Hitler[AoE]: fine ill clear you a path
          Stalin: WTF u arsshoel! WE HAD A FoCKIN TRUCE
          Hitler[AoE]: i changed my mind lol
          benny-tow: haha
          benny-tow: hey ur losing ur guys in africa im gonna need help in italy soon sum1
          T0J0: o **** i cant help u i got my hands full
          Hitler[AoE]: im 2 busy 2 help
          Roosevelt: yah thats right ***** im comin for ya
          Stalin: church help me
          Churchill: like u helped me before? sure ill just sit here
          Stalin: dont be an arss
          Churchill: dont be a commie. oops too late
          Eisenhower: LOL
          :
          etc...
          Last edited by Clever Hans; 2 January 2011, 10:14. Reason: So I didn't get told off for posting the whole thing.

Comment

You might find this interesting: Doing My Dailies: Why I Quit WoW And Started Working Out.

It has some good links that may be relevant, too.

Comment

Working...
            X