• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What did Thomas Edison Invent Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This video sparked off my research inton Edison. He was a fanatical believer in DC generation and tried to discredit Tesla and Westinghouse who were generating AC. Edison executed an elephant (and later a man) to demonstrate the alleged dangers of AC

Does anyone know what Thomas Edison actually invented? Ie. Not a stolen idea or bought patent.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

He was a remarkable man, the best way to see and understand his acheivements are to visit his ex-house (now a museum) in Fort Myers, Florida.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

This video sparked off my research inton Edison. He was a fanatical believer in DC generation and tried to discredit Tesla and Westinghouse who were generating AC. Edison executed an elephant (and later a man) to demonstrate the alleged dangers of AC

Does anyone know what Thomas Edison actually invented? Ie. Not a stolen idea or bought patent.

The first count is arguably murder, the second is definately murder.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

DC would have been much better, none of those horrible pylons disfiguring our countryside, lorries would just go round delivering huge lead acid batteries.

PS Seriously, how did he plan for DC to be distributed?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          DC would have been much better, none of those horrible pylons disfiguring our countryside, lorries would just go round delivering huge lead acid batteries.

Over huge pylons with a huge rectifier at one end and an inverter at the other.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            He was a remarkable man, the best way to see and understand his acheivements are to visit his ex-house (now a museum) in Fort Myers, Florida.
            Please be more specific and BTW do not mention the light bulb, he only invented the screw thread for it.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

So I have been told...

It’s one of the reasons why the US runs on 110v. The cables for DC had to be very thick and it was impractical to run DC outside of cities. There were still some areas of NY running on DC up until the 30s. BTW DC high voltage is lethal and it does not throw you off the cable, it locks you to it.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

He invented the electric hammer, and extra legs on the back of chairs to stop you tipping over backwards.

At least that's what they said on The Simpsons.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                BTW DC high voltage is lethal and it does not throw you off the cable, it locks you to it.
                How does that work?Why would it be different?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The phonograph?

And based on his work discrediting AC, the electric chair

Comment

Edison's notebooks and other papers are online at Rutgers for those who fancy some light New Year reading

Comment

Working...
                    X