• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deflation news

Rail season tickets burst through the £5,000 a year barrier

Rail passengers across the country – including those using popular Home Counties routes – are facing the highest increases in a generation, at a time when many people's salaries are failing to keep pace with inflation.

The biggest season ticket hikes are being imposed by Southeastern, which carries 120,000 commuters a day into central London from East Sussex and Kent.

Commuters travelling to St Pancras from Hastings, Rye and Tonbridge will have to find £5,192 a year – equivalent to a fifth of the national average salary.

This is the first time that any standard class season tickets in the South East have broken through the £5,000 milestone.

The Government allowed Southeastern to push up fares by an average of 7.8 per cent – three per cent above July’s Retail Price Index. But this masked higher increases approaching 13 per cent on some routes.

More from the source: Rail season tickets burst through the £5,000 a year barrier - Telegraph

---

Yes that scary deflation that Mr King was warning about is going to get us all in 2011

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yes that scary deflation that Mr King was warning about is going to get us all in 2011
    Well as long as you have a (rented) roof over your head, that is all you need.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Well as long as you have a (rented) roof over your head, that is all you need.

My rent is up 66% now...

But at least I am living in a very decent place

Comment

AtW, is Russian humour like English humour? I notice your use of sarcasm, and am just wondering like.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          AtW, is Russian humour like English humour? I notice your use of sarcasm, and am just wondering like.
          At the core it's not far off though on extremes both sides don't make any sense...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            At the core it's not far off though on extremes both sides don't make any sense...
            Come back from the extremes then.

HTH
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Come back from the extremes then.
              A programmer falls into the river and shouts... F1 F1 F1!!!!

Comment

Of course the 'train operating companies' could just take a smaller 'profit' instead. I use the quotes because half their revenue comes from the taxpayer, yet they have shareholders and pay dividends. It's just like the old British Rail but instead of 'profits' being put back into the network, they are handed out to other people.

SNCF (the French publicly-owned operator) has a large shareholding in Southeastern trains. I assume that helps them fund a reasonable and relatively inexpensive service back home?

The piss is being taken and we should all get really angry about it.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The point is WTF it costs so much for train services in this country DESPITE massive taxpayer subsidy? Something is wrong with costs - it's not like they (train companies) make massive profits.

Comment

I've seen your post TimberWolf!

You'd better delete it mate before they get your nuts into a nutcracker...

Comment

Working...
                    X