• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sense of Sun Readers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sense of Sun Readers

Can't be @rsed to look for it but there was a recent exchange here on democracy. My view is that your average Sun reader applying sense and an instinctive knowlegde of what he wants is usually a far better guide to a workable society than an imposition of impractical and grandiose ideals by the intelligent and educated, no matter how well meaning.

The most popular comments on this Sun article are exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. You can sum it up as "believe what you want but don't try and impose it on me".

Andrew Colgan left letter blasting UK laws for preventing him from ending his life at home | The Sun |News
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't be @rsed to look for it but there was a recent exchange here on democracy. My view is that your average Sun reader applying sense and an instinctive knowlegde of what he wants is usually a far better guide to a workable society than an imposition of impractical and grandiose ideals by the intelligent and educated, no matter how well meaning.

The most popular comments on this Sun article are exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. You can sum it up as "believe what you want but don't try and impose it on me".

Andrew Colgan left letter blasting UK laws for preventing him from ending his life at home | The Sun |News
    I read both the Sun, Express, Mail or Times depending on my mood. I only buy the Sun for the tits.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

They have much better tits in The Guardian. Haven''t you read it recently?
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

They have much better tits in The Guardian. Haven''t you read it recently?
        He doesn't mean that kind of tit.

Comment

It scares me anyone outside that demographic genuinely thinks that demographic is a viable choice to be in charge. Are you an anarchist? I don't know what the word really means so it's a genuine question. Most people seem to use it to mean looting and crime waves.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly with xoggoth.

Modern "babbling" classes, particularly Guardian readers have completely gone off their rockers.

I think, fortunately, they´re in demise.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think you've been too kindly selective in your choice of issue. That's all very well when discussing a rare isolated case of a victimless crime, but if you applied it to questions where more people are involved I suspect we'd have a lot of people strung up without trial, no speed limits on the roads, and be at war with France.

Comment

You don't really believe people think like that TL? Doesn't accord with my observations of most forums or comments. Appreciate you are not being entirely serious with those examples but if you look at all major issues the majority of the British public are actually pretty sensible. I'm not saying they are informed enough to come up with workable laws and policies but if their wishes framed the broad direction I think we would have a much more workable society.

Less than 50% and falling believe in capital punishment even after a trial and proper conviction.
                Less than 50pc back death penalty - Telegraph

Only 33% believe we should have motorway limits above 80mph. V small poll admittedly, but other polls are too restrictive to be meaningful.
                Should the motorway speed limit be increased? - Sheffield Forum

Can't find any polls at all on war with France! (Why not?)
                bloggoth

Comment

That is quite reassuring, and I might have misunderstood the governmental system you're proposing (if, indeed, you were proposing such a thing). I'm sure the relatively silent majority is generally sensible, and now we've got a very focus group-led democracy, our government is probably even more aligned with them than it had been in the past.

(incidentally I don't know what to make of that Telegraph article on the capital punishment survey, as the bulk of the article contradicts the headline. The poll question that seems to have prompted the <50% headline is specifically about the death penalty for murdering a police officer: and this was January 2006, right in the middle of the Stockwell shooting inquiry. The latest YouGov, on a broader question, shows 51% support)

Comment

Less than 50% and falling believe in capital punishment even after a trial and proper conviction.
                    Less than 50pc back death penalty - Telegraph
                    Sorry but "just under 50%" is enough to convince you? That's the same as "nearly 50% advocate the death penalty".

Only 33% believe we should have motorway limits above 80mph.
                    But maybe we should, in which case only a minority are right.

I'm not convinced so far. I have to drive slowly in a country with capital punishment, which is only just on the side of not killing criminals.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X