• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Come fly with me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come fly with me

I see that blacking up is now acceptable again. How? Is it 'ironic'?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Not sure it's acceptable. Seems like an attempt to make a load of crap funny.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Haven't laughed once yet. V poor
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

First time I saw it, it was reasonably funny. Second time around I turned it off.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It was quite funny.

The 'blacking up' bit is acceptable as they are playing characters(they did it in Little Britain as well) as opposed to being overtly racist.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            It was quite funny.
            WHS.

Probably because I didn't watch Little Britain, I've seen a few clips and am familiar with the majority of characters, so this is my first real viewing of any Lucas/Walliams comedy.

Comment

Just 'cause Matt Lucas can carry it off, that doesn't necessarily mean anybody else can. He's a breed apart.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                It was quite funny.

The 'blacking up' bit is acceptable as they are playing characters(they did it in Little Britain as well) as opposed to being overtly racist.
                Don't know that it was particularly funny, but I don't think it was racist, just as the dressing up as women wasn't misogynistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  I see that blacking up is now acceptable again. How? Is it 'ironic'?
                  Haven't you heard of Darkie Day?

link

They've been blacking up in Padstowe for centuries. ISTR Diane Abbott trying to get it banned a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Don't know that it was particularly funny, but I don't think it was racist, just as the dressing up as women wasn't misogynistic.
                    Same here, it looked promising, but not very funny really.

I was quite surprised though to see this article in the Telegraph
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X