• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stealth Supermarket Price Hikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following Christmas I have noticed some price hikes in the supermarkets of 10% to 30%. No doubt this is a ploy for when the vat increate comes in they will say “prices remain the same”
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Following Christmas I have noticed some price hikes in the supermarkets of 10% to 30%. No doubt this is a ploy for when the vat increate comes in they will say “prices remain the same”
    Have you noticed any price reductions? e.g. of christmas-related stuff?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

This kind of stuff has always happened - just that we're becomming more wise to it.

Firms never drop/hold prices for your benefit. The only reason it's done is

a) Getting rid of excess stock - rarely an issue for supermarkets, except for odd lines approaching sell-by date
      b) Getting cash urgently - again not an issue for supermarkets
      c) Making people believe they're getting something cheaper

It's all marketing, pure and simple. Put prices up, then cut them to give the impression that stuff is cheaper. And it works - because people think that when something is 50% off - then it must be cheap - they don't bother to check the actual price and work out whether it's good value anyway.

Comment

Manufacturers are also at when they make their products smaller. e.g.

Comment

I for one held my prices on furniture all year. I have seen a 50% drop in large furniture sales even with my reduced prices. In October I decided to up
          prices by 30%. I sold hardly my furniture again.

Last week I started an aggressive sale showing 20-50% reductions, with a 'was x now y' advertisement.

Lo and behold furniture
          is now flying out, some at prices higher than my price in the summer.

Consumers for the most are idiots.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How do you notice a 10% increase in supermarket items? Are you wondering around with a spreadsheet open on your laptop comparing prices each time you go? Have you found a practical use for an iPad?

Obviously all the retailers will be keeping prices artificially high so they can ride the "beat the VAT increase" wave. Then we'll have a little while of "we'll pay the VAT increase for you" deals, before finally in a month or two they'll lower the prices to where they'd ordinarily be. That's probably not so true for food, but I'm sure that's what'll happen for things like TVs.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I for one held my prices on furniture all year. I have seen a 50% drop in large furniture sales even with my reduced prices. In October I decided to up
              prices by 30%. I sold hardly my furniture again.

Last week I started an aggressive sale showing 20-50% reductions, with a 'was x now y' advertisement.

Lo and behold furniture
              is now flying out, some at prices higher than my price in the summer.

Consumers for the most are idiots.
              That's a common sales tactic anyway, slow increments upwards for a short period before then announcing a "sale" with reductions therefore making the general public think they are getting something cheaper and then shop owner isn't out of pocket.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                How do you notice a 10% increase in supermarket items? Are you wondering around with a spreadsheet open on your laptop comparing prices each time you go? Have you found a practical use for an iPad?
                No, you put the supermarket receipts into your spreadsheet when you get home.

But some folks can simply remember the price of a product from one week to the next. Wimmin tend to be good at this.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

But some folks can simply remember the price of a product from one week to the next. Wimmin tend to be good at this.
                  Wimmin.

Don't make me laugh. They don't have a clue about prices.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Or vaguer, think to yourself upon receipt of the, er, receipt, jeez, my shopping wasn't this expensive a year ago, and why can't I stick a whole Mars bar in my gob now, unlike when I was a kid when I had a smaller mouth?

Comment

Working...
                    X