• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bootcamps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootcamps

Hello all. First post 'n' all so not sure of the best place to post this but....

I'm thinking of attending a bootcamp (yeah yeah I know). I have a background in integration and have been using one piece of technology which seems to be fading out fast (egate). Where as there are tons of opportunites in biztalk (at the moment).

The question is:

With my (many) years in integration and what will only be 5 days (!) experience in Biztalk... Do you think I will be possible to land a new role?

Has anyone have any experience of changing technologies like that?

It all comes down to how confidant you are in blagging it to get the gig. With sound integration experience you should be able to put on a convincing show and a 5 day bootcamp will at least allow you to drop in the appropriate buzzwords.

Once you are in it's up to you to figure out what you need to know to make it work. You'll probably get at least a couple of weeks thumb twiddling time while the client sorts out the essentials like PC,email, and exactly what is was they hired you to do. Should be enough time for you to find your feet and sort out what you need to know.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Talking of bootcamps, does anyone know of any diet/OTT fitness ones? My arse has got a bit lardy sitting in the local council office doing nowt and I could do with a kick up it to shift a few stone!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
        Talking of bootcamps, does anyone know of any diet/OTT fitness ones? My arse has got a bit lardy sitting in the local council office doing nowt and I could do with a kick up it to shift a few stone!

Try more shagging, that should burn a few calories...

Comment

Originally posted by hunterm
          Hello all. First post 'n' all so not sure of the best place to post this but....

I'm thinking of attending a bootcamp (yeah yeah I know). I have a background in integration and have been using one piece of technology which seems to be fading out fast (egate). Where as there are tons of opportunites in biztalk (at the moment).

The question is:

With my (many) years in integration and what will only be 5 days (!) experience in Biztalk... Do you think I will be possible to land a new role?

Has anyone have any experience of changing technologies like that?
          HahaHeheheHaaHehe Egate!!! Wow I forgot about that one. So Sun ended up buying out Seebeyond and now they have no idea what to do with it? I remember when Accenture were practically financing Seebeyond and pushing Egate to all their clients, above MQSI, Mercator and Vitria. What a pile of tulipe it was back then... but Accenture loaded their "bake offs" towards Egate every time. I remember caning the crap out of Egate using one of the other products (I won't say which one!) at Unilever.

But now things are different, and I too am in the same position as you. Currently I am riding out the end of the contract wave, earning decent money at a big client. For as long as this lasts, I will work here in order to save up as much cash as possible. After that (maybe in < 1 year or so) my plan is to take a bit of time off and then perhaps get a permanent job in some EAI related field (web services etc?), one which will allow me to get new skills.

Eventually I want to get out of IT sooner rather than later anyway, it bores the hell outta me.

IT is boring, it's boring me. It's ended. Finish it now.

Comment

blag, blag and blag again!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
              It all comes down to how confidant you are in blagging it to get the gig. With sound integration experience you should be able to put on a convincing show and a 5 day bootcamp will at least allow you to drop in the appropriate buzzwords.
              You forgot the key question which throws all aspiring Biztalk blaggers/developers DB..."why would you use Biztalk?".

Anyone who's got any real experience will give the obvious answer "I wouldn't", the wannabes/blaggers get caught out by simply talking about all the buzzwords you mention, orchestrations, pipelines, adapters...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                You forgot the key question which throws all aspiring Biztalk blaggers/developers DB..."why would you use Biztalk?".

Anyone who's got any real experience will give the obvious answer "I wouldn't", the wannabes/blaggers get caught out by simply talking about all the buzzwords you mention, orchestrations, pipelines, adapters...

Ab so bloody lutely.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
                  HahaHeheheHaaHehe Egate!!! Wow I forgot about that one. So Sun ended up buying out Seebeyond and now they have no idea what to do with it? I remember when Accenture were practically financing Seebeyond and pushing Egate to all their clients, above MQSI, Mercator and Vitria. What a pile of tulipe it was back then... but Accenture loaded their "bake offs" towards Egate every time. I remember caning the crap out of Egate using one of the other products (I won't say which one!) at Unilever.

But now things are different, and I too am in the same position as you. Currently I am riding out the end of the contract wave, earning decent money at a big client. For as long as this lasts, I will work here in order to save up as much cash as possible. After that (maybe in < 1 year or so) my plan is to take a bit of time off and then perhaps get a permanent job in some EAI related field (web services etc?), one which will allow me to get new skills.

Eventually I want to get out of IT sooner rather than later anyway, it bores the hell outta me.

IT is boring, it's boring me. It's ended. Finish it now.

Well Good Luck.

I got into Contracting after being made redundant from a consultancy. I had a lovely 18 month contract (12 months of which working from home). Spent the next 12 months travelling the world. Then got back had 2 contracts with about 3 months on the bench between them. Then got a Permie job because of the drop in demand for egate. Now after 2 months in this "Permanent" job I'm facing the prospect of redundancy again.

Contracting seems a whole lot more reliable too me.... as long as you keep your skills up to date - A mistake I'm looking to rectify

Comment

Bootcamps

I would suggest India for boot camps, not only they are less than half price; they also take the exam foe you!
                    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Working...
                    X