• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you limit your drinking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you limit your drinking?

Some people can drink a couple of drinks and then stop, without any issues at all. Even if they're not driving later. Others apparently cannot, or at least, not without difficulty, and would definitely prefer not to.
    Yes. I drink exactly how much I choose to.
    56.52%
    I can, but have some difficulty
    21.74%
    I can, but have a lot of difficulty
    13.04%
    No. I always keep going until I'm drunk
    0.00%
    No. I always keep going until I'm really really drunk
    4.35%
    I'm a member of Alcoholics Conspicuous
    4.35%
    AndyW drinks me under the table
    0.00%
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

I used to keep drinking until I'm drunk but as the hangovers got more vicious, I stopped. I'm sure I'll get caught out (I do occasionally with country wines and I've a batch of apple wine on the go) but generally the memories of wiped out weekends stops me from getting too ratted.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is the purpose of this thread to find the alcoholics and have a go at them?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I used to keep drinking until I'm drunk but as the hangovers got more vicious, I stopped. I'm sure I'll get caught out (I do occasionally with country wines and I've a batch of apple wine on the go) but generally the memories of wiped out weekends stops me from getting too ratted.
        WCS^

Coupled with the thought of my 3 year old dragging me out of bed a 6am the next morning.

I stick to ale when I'm out, all my past wipe-outs involved spirits of some description.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Is the purpose of this thread to find the alcoholics and have a go at them?
          [whisper]
          I don't think so SE, take a look at the CUK hangover thread...
          [/whisper]
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Drinking limits me to a certain extent. I reach a point before I'm drunk where I don't want to drink anymore usually accompanied by an insatiable desire to eat pizza.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I certainly can't have one drink and not want another; I always want another. I can mostly stop myself, but every now and again I give in and always end up pissed off with myself for the subsequent wasted day.

It's a bit worrying. Makes you wonder how far away proper alcoholism really is.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I certainly can't have one drink and not want another; I always want another. I can mostly stop myself, but every now and again I give in and always end up pissed off with myself for the subsequent wasted day.

It's a bit worrying. Makes you wonder how far away proper alcoholism really is.
                Surely drinking alone is the biggest step towards alcoholism?
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  Surely drinking alone is the biggest step towards alcoholism?
                  Why? Is a heroin addict not a heroin addict if he does it with other people?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Why? Is a heroin addict not a heroin addict if he does it with other people?
                    Alcohol is a social drug. Not sure the same is true of heroin.

I suppose there are alcoholics who go out drinking every night, I just imagined the majority of them to be lone drinkers reaching for the sauce at 10am.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X