PDA

View Full Version : BTL'ers doomed.

Fred Bloggs
3rd January 2011, 15:16
Doomed, I tell you. (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages-and-homes/article.html?in_article_id=520707&in_page_id=8&ct=5)

AtW
3rd January 2011, 15:18
Less house owners would mean more places needed to be rent out.

Spacecadet
3rd January 2011, 15:31
In 10-15 years he'll be saying he meant "no more LABOUR housing boom"

Mich the Tester
3rd January 2011, 15:32
We're all doomed. DOOMED.

Freamon
3rd January 2011, 15:39
Gordon Brown said almost exactly the same thing when he was starting out and look where that got us.

minestrone
3rd January 2011, 15:41
Housing prices will stagnate for the next 15 to 20 years.

There will be no drop with interest rates as they are.

Never seen my house as an asset or an investment, it is a home.

scooterscot
3rd January 2011, 16:05
Never seen my house as an asset or an investment, it is a home.

WHS.

Even though I let my first house i'm the least savvy person on the planet when it comes to investments, at the time my job changed and I expected to return to my home expect that never happened.

I think focus should be on earnings and not house prices, even if they have run away with themselves a little. The rate earnings have increased over the last 15 years are the biggest con IMO. My first job as a graduate started around 18K (13 years ago), I've seen the same job advertised around 22K today. True inflation is not even matched with that increase.

Over the last 15 years the reward for increased labour has been to take home less and less. What an insult to the ordinary man and woman on the street whilst the bureaucrats have been lining their pockets with factious expenses.

What we need is a full blown revolution.

Doggy Styles
3rd January 2011, 16:17
Never seen my house as an asset or an investment, it is a home.Same here.

BTW I thought you were in Sydney?

MarillionFan
3rd January 2011, 16:22
Same here.

BTW I thought you were in Sydney?

I did. Worked on a five year basis when I started buying in1999. Bought three, sold them, paid mortgage off and then bought a large place by borrowing more. Now only a few years to go to pay that off.

suityou01
3rd January 2011, 18:16
Doomed, I tell you. (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages-and-homes/article.html?in_article_id=520707&in_page_id=8&ct=5)

Nice. So my kid's education costs more, which means I cannot afford to put by as much for my twighlight years. Pensions aren't worth it. And now good old bricks and mortar is going to stagnate until I retire. :suicide:

Time to get into stocks and shares methinks. Oh no, wait. :rolleyes:

centurian
3rd January 2011, 18:21
The Government is trying to encourage councils and developers to build more homes to suppress the market and make it easier for first-time buyers to get on to the housing ladder.

Total and utter bollards - they're making it harder to build more homes by giving local people a veto on new home developments - a veto which they will almost always exercise because they won't want their local market "suppressed".

But as to how it affect BTL's - depends on how good an investment they make. Once interest rates normalise in 1-2 years, annual yields will be roughly the same as sticking your money in the bank, but with much more risk.

Now the amateur BTL didn't care about average yields - as long as the mortgage was paid, they knew they could double their money in 5-10 years due to rising house prices. That's the kicker that's no longer there.

You can still make money from BTL, but you will have to be considerably more canny

MarillionFan
3rd January 2011, 18:28
My man Jeeves just misread this thread title and is now very worried his job is in jeopardy. I've asked Nurse to take him for a lie down.

Lockhouse
4th January 2011, 08:13
BTL - Stick with it for the long term. At the end of the day someone has bought you a house.

DimPrawn
4th January 2011, 09:47
BTL - Stick with it for the long term. At the end of the day someone has bought you a house.

The interesting thing about being a BTL'er is that it is very hard for the government to target BTL landlords without either clobbering normal mortgaged homeowners and/or their tenants as renters.

Therefore it is recession proof and in the long term a million times better than some greasy pension fund spiv taking any of your hard earned.

BTL'ers Boomed I'd say.

MarillionFan
4th January 2011, 09:53
The interesting thing about being a BTL'er is that it is very hard for the government to target BTL landlords without either clobbering normal mortgaged homeowners and/or their tenants as renters.

Therefore it is recession proof and in the long term a million times better than some greasy pension fund spiv taking any of your hard earned.

BTL'ers Boomed I'd say.

What Numbnuts says.

BTL is still a good longterm investment and should be used as part as an overall investment strategy.

Freamon
4th January 2011, 22:53

BTL'ers Boomed I'd say.
Why is it hard? They already charge CGT with 100% relief for owner occupiers - they could target BTLers by removing some of the taper relief on this. Also, there's already separate box on the tax return for "income from property", so they could increase the rate of tax on this category.

Not hard at all really.

AtW
4th January 2011, 22:54
removing some of the taper relief on this.

Eh?

Taper Relief is gone already - thanks Darling! :mad

Moscow Mule
4th January 2011, 23:19

They could always remove mortgage interest tax relief. That would cut into yields quite nicely...

Freamon
4th January 2011, 23:52
Eh?

Taper Relief is gone already - thanks Darling! :mad
Well there you go, just shows it can be done.