• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When is Australia going to collapse under a mountain of debt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is Australia going to collapse under a mountain of debt?

I watched one of those trashy programs earlier where a family pretends they want to move to Australia in order to get a free holiday. What struck me was the price of property, last time I watched a program like this you could get a 5 bed ranch with land for £100k and now you're looking at £300k average! I know the pound has weakened but still a shocking difference.

They interviewed a local town planner who earned $50k AUD and he let on his modest 4 bed was $500,000 with an interest only mortgage, thats 10x income... sound familiar?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

They've got a lot of natural resources there that are mined for export, if anything their economy is booming and will only collapse if commodities go down, something that is looking increasingly unlikely with all that money printing that's going on at the moment.

Comment

The pound hasn't just weakened - it has halved in value against AUD, which accounts for half of the increase alone

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        They interviewed a local town planner who earned $50k AUD and he let on his modest 4 bed was $500,000 with an interest only mortgage, thats 10x income... sound familiar?
        Oz went through the BTL boom as well. Circa 2002/3 an Australian colleague went there for a holiday to see his folks and came back late because he'd bought his third house.

A year or two ago he'd sold one and was desperate to sell another.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Oz went through the BTL boom as well. Circa 2002/3 an Australian colleague went there for a holiday to see his folks and came back late because he'd bought his third house.

A year or two ago he'd sold one and was desperate to sell another.
          They've also got a Labour which did it's best to overstimulate a economy which
          was doing fine already. Now there trying to slow things down ....

Comment

Another accident waiting to happen in Australia is the supply of fresh water - they've sucked their water table almost dry in a number of regions and face the prospect of having to build massive desalination plants at a huge huge energy cost.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Another accident waiting to happen in Australia is the supply of fresh water - they've sucked their water table almost dry in a number of regions and face the prospect of having to build massive desalination plants at a huge huge energy cost.
              Not a problem, you only need to scratch the sea bed off Western Australia and you find a world scale gas field. Not to mention hundreds of years reserves of coal seam methane resources.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Not a problem, you only need to scratch the sea bed off Western Australia and you find a world scale gas field. Not to mention hundreds of years reserves of coal seam methane resources.
                It's a shame because there's a world class coral reef off the coast of WA too.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  They've got a lot of natural resources there that are mined for export, if anything their economy is booming and will only collapse if commodities go down, something that is looking increasingly unlikely with all that money printing that's going on at the moment.
                  So you think a homeowner borrowing at 10x income could soak up a couple of interest point increases?

They hadn't had a holiday in ten years and admitted they paid over half their income to the bank on interest alone.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night on those figures.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

when we went we were getting 3 to the £1. when we looked at visiting friends for Christmas 2011 is 1.6/£1.
                    Lots of people are suffering due to the cost of standard goods - broadband is expense. The only cheapish thing is the petrol but that can fluctuate during the day.

People are coming back to the uk loads now .

Comment

Working...
                    X