• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it...

...that sometimes TV is wall-to-wall Nazis and what the Germans did during the war, but there is little or nothing on what the Japanese and Russians did? Today is Auschwitz day on "Yesterday", as was yesterday and most days have some Hitler.

I guess it's simply that there isn't so much film footage.

That must be the main reason cable/satellite TV endlessly airs all those WW2 documentaries - cheap footage, with (presumably) low or zero royalties.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 January 2011, 10:12.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      ...that sometimes TV is wall-to-wall Nazis and what the Germans did during the war, but there is little or nothing on what the Japanese and Russians did? Today is Auschwitz day on "Yesterday", as was yesterday and most days have some Hitler.
      Because, my dear boy, we all know the nips and the ruskies are SAVAGES but Germany is the home of Brahms and Beethoven and they are very much just like us which is why their being engaged in wholesale genocide is still so shocking. And that makes for good TV, QED.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        Because, my dear boy, we all know the nips and the ruskies are SAVAGES but Germany is the home of Brahms and Beethoven and they are very much just like us which is why their being engaged in wholesale genocide is still so shocking. And that makes for good TV, QED.

Malc, is that you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Malc, is that you again.
          No. I had a glass of Emva Cream last night and I think I may still be a little tipsy lol!

Comment

When your state Russia, you mean the Soviet Union? Don’t forget Stalin was Georgian. Georgia was part of the USSR. There are loads of WWI and WWII soviet films but they are not popular viewing.

Historical film are also used as propaganda, you can bet money that once Israel starts some atrocity the TV will be deluged by holocaust programmes. Fortunately there are holocaust victims who speak out against such activities.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's because the Germans threatened our country's very survival in a way that the nips and ruskies never did (as in neither could have easily invaded the UK).

My take on the reason we still see these kinds of war programmes on TV some 66 years after the event is because it was the last time the British armed forces have been involved in a demonstrably legitimate war of defence as opposed to all more recent wars that have been about securing access to oil (Afghanistan excepted).

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                It's because the Germans threatened our country's very survival in a way that the nips and ruskies never did (as in neither could have easily invaded the UK).

My take on the reason we still see these kinds of war programmes on TV some 66 years after the event is because it was the last time the British armed forces have been involved in a demonstrably legitimate war of defence as opposed to all more recent wars that have been about securing access to oil (Afghanistan excepted).
                Threatened our country's very survival? In what way would the average UK citizen been affected by being ruled over by Germany? Admittedly it was subsequently discovered what was happening to Jews, Gypsies, etc, which on its own may have been reason to declare war. I'm not sure what deleterious effect German occupations had on Poland, et. al, at least for the commoner. Any worse than being ruled by the Ruskies? For sure, the people at the top would have been toppled. Regarding Afghanistan, wasn't it needed to be tamed to make way for a pipeline or something? More recently huge mineral deposits, or something, have been discovered there.

Comment

Aye, the Germans had a real good chance of winning that war, it was poor leadership that cost them dear. plus they had the glamour, black uniforms, leather boots etc and great names, luftwaffe, kreigsmarine and panzer divisions, totenkopf, wiking, desert fox, panzer lehr etc.
                  alls we had was 7th armoured and rubbishy khaki and stupid helmets.
                  And who could ever get exited by the thought of 5th guards shock tank army sweeping through the Ukraine ?? or sasebo marine division landing at khota baru ?

none of the rest of us had the je ne sais quoi

damn those jerries

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

In what way would the average UK citizen been affected by being ruled over by Germany?
                    Loss of colonies to begin with - and that even without direct Nazi rule.

Comment

Working...
                    X