• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice dispute - non payment - timesheet not authorised

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoice dispute - non payment - timesheet not authorised

Hi all,

I've contracted for several years as a LTD company through agencies. For the first time ever had an invoice disputed.

I was approached by an agency regarding a 3 month role. I attended interview with the end company. They asked me to complete an initial piece of work in between 1 and 5 days as a trial.

I was asked, both in writing by the agency and verbally by the director of the end company, to complete an IT due diligence report. Specifically to review a support proposal, further document a bespoke application and highlight any risks in the proposal. I completed this work in 3.5, submitted the draft doc and was asked to make some changes. This I did taking another half day.

On submitting my time-sheets the company has disputed my work. Specifically they have said my document lacks basic information such as server IP addresses, desktop OS versions, desktop software used, etc. It turns our they expected a build document detailing all the information needed to implement the support proposal - not a due diligence.

Subsequently they have not authorised my timesheets. They have offered to pay me for two days - stating that one of there perm consultants could have completed the same work in that time.

I have no idea where I stand on this one. I'd really appreciate any advice any one else can offer?

Kind Regards.

Send a scary letter threatening to bring in your solicitor or small-claims, whichever is most relevant, with a copy of the invoice. Work done is work to be paid for, even if they don't like the work, unless you have a contract stating otherwise. At least, I think so.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Send a scary letter threatening to bring in your solicitor or small-claims, whichever is most relevant, with a copy of the invoice. Work done is work to be paid for, even if they don't like the work, unless you have a contract stating otherwise. At least, I think so.
      Not if it's not of merchantable quality it's not. If the client doesn't like the results, it's not unreasonable for him either to pay nothing for it or pay a reduced amount in line with what they think the value of the work done actually is. If it's not been explicitly defined in the original contractual terms/statement of work, it will be difficult to argue the case either way.

The pragmatic answer is to write this off in the "Sh!t happens" category and move on. Be grateful you're getting something for what you've done; you sure as hell won't get any more.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you have something in writing from the agency defining the work to be completed and you have acted in accordance with it then I would take the issue up with them and also show said document to the client and ask for their comments. Whether your work was of the required standard is another question but if you have fulfilled a written brief then IMHO it is worth taking further
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I'm of the view that work done is work to be paid for much the same as d000hg. I wasn't asked to quote for a specific piece of work. I was offered a rolling one day contract. I completed 3.5 days.

I've only ever contracted at large blue chips before now. This company is very small (circa 8 people) and tbh I think they've used me to produce a good bit of work that they will financially benefit from and are now taking the p***.

My invoice is for a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things (£1750). It's a pretty sad state of affairs that a company can do this to someone and I have to just write it off as 'tulip happens'.

My gut is telling me to stick with my principles. I've done the work they owe me the full amount for my time. If I stick to this path what next? A scary letter will get me nowhere with the agency I'm sure.

I intend to talk and discuss this through but if all that fails what then? What is the proper channel? Can I pass it to debt collectors on a no win no fee basis?

Cheers for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Not if it's not of merchantable quality it's not. If the client doesn't like the results, it's not unreasonable for him either to pay nothing for it or pay a reduced amount in line with what they think the value of the work done actually is. ......
            Really? So if I get a builder around, and say "I want a conservatory." and they build it, I'm then within my rights to say "Oh, no, I wanted a conservatory made from metal and glass, not uPVC. Tell you what, I'll give you £50 and we'll call it quits"?

Even if I didn't originally specify that?
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Really? So if I get a builder around, and say "I want a conservatory." and they build it, I'm then within my rights to say "Oh, no, I wanted a conservatory made from metal and glass, not uPVC. Tell you what, I'll give you £50 and we'll call it quits"?

Even if I didn't originally specify that?
              Actually you could, but if you ordered such a thing without detailing exactly what you wanted in the first place, then you can't argue that what you got is not what you ordered. The builder would have an equally valid claim for his money on the grounds that he built a conservatory that lets light in and keeps the rain out. If it doesn't do those things, then you needn't pay for them and the rework would be at his cost.

The OP has a problem if what was ordered wasn't properly defined so people can argue about what was required after the event (although from his later post I'm tending to agree with his position if that is the contractual reality). Don't forget, contracts are for when things go wrong. They need to cover all the bases.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by apple View Post
                I was asked, both in writing by the agency and verbally by the director of the end company, to complete an IT due diligence report. Specifically to review a support proposal, further document a bespoke application and highlight any risks in the proposal. I completed this work in 3.5, submitted the draft doc and was asked to make some changes. This I did taking another half day.

On submitting my time-sheets the company has disputed my work. Specifically they have said my document lacks basic information such as server IP addresses, desktop OS versions, desktop software used, etc. It turns our they expected a build document detailing all the information needed to implement the support proposal - not a due diligence.

Subsequently they have not authorised my timesheets. They have offered to pay me for two days - stating that one of there perm consultants could have completed the same work in that time.
                I think it comes down to what people expect. I have to admit my first impression is how can you have a due diligence report or a risk report on bespoke apps that doesn't highlight versions and software. Surely these are pretty good areas of risk that need considering. Version of Explorer for web based apps is pretty key. I don't mean to point the finger of blame here but I think you have to consider both sides of the argument.

The culture change to a small company was always going to be difficult qas well. They can be very tight fisted about numbers than a large company and this would constitute a pretty good saving to them. They also have an element of ownership that doesn't exist in a large blue chip.

Good just be a good exercise in swallowing it and moving on I am afraid.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I really appreciate the comments here. Thanks for taking the time.

I didn't want to get into the tech details of what was asked but it's looking like they're becoming relevant. The basic proposal I was reviewing was taking a companies IT infrastructure into support. The proposal was relatively simple, essentially to create a VM of each server and move the lot off site. The desktops stayed as they were.

I spent two days interviewing staff from each business area, documenting org structure and information flow. My report found no risk in virtualising the core file and print systems as this has been done countless times before. I performed server monitoring on the database server and highlighted virtualising this as an area of risk. I also highlighted the proposed bandwidth between the DC and client site as an area of risk.

In short I provided a wealth of information they didn't have and pre-empted the two areas that could cause them a huge problem.

Their feedback 'we can't use your report to build the vmware environment'. I know this, my report was never intended for that purpose.

The more I think about this the more I would rather get paid in full or take nothing. This is the basis of what all business transactions in this country are based on. You ask someone to do a job, they do it, you pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by apple View Post
                    I completed this work in 3.5, submitted the draft doc and was asked to make some changes.
                    If what you were doing was missing fundamental information and not what they wanted, why didn't they bring it up when they reviewed the draft?

Sounds like they're inventing reasons to get a discount, which is the kind of thing small companies like to do.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X