• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tis Grim Up North

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tis Grim Up North

Anyone from up north currently contracting in London or thereabouts ? Seen a few contacts that are paying a little over the average, but this is soon cut back by the fact that a return from Chester to London is nearly £200 !! - is there any other options apart from train or car ?

Originally posted by foritisme
    Anyone from up north currently contracting in London or thereabouts ? Seen a few contacts that are paying a little over the average, but this is soon cut back by the fact that a return from Chester to London is nearly £200 !! - is there any other options apart from train or car ?

You can get cheaper tickets if you buy far enough in advance. cow-orker here travels from london to leeds one way for £9 on a regular basis.

Otherwise rent the cheapest room you can stand and stay there.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You're gonna travel every day? That's crazy unless you are actually planning to stay down here during the week and travel only on weekends.

The only options are train, fly or drive. What else did you have in mind... this :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4735024.stm

at least it's cheaper and Spring/Summer aren't far off

Comment

Chester? Grim?

Never thought I would ever hear those two words together in the same paragraph. Chester has got to be one of the twee'est places in all Britain. Child deprivation there means having to share the same pony.

Comment

I used to commute from Doncaster to the City everyday.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I drove from Rochdale to Greenford (and staines) on a weekly basis for 4 years. The M6 and 5:30am on a monday morning is still busy!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I live in West London and worked in Poole for 6 months. Like feck was I going to do a 2 hour drive each way every day!! So I got a Studio flat at £500 a month and drove back home for weekends, simple really. Gave me a chance to enjoy life in Bournemouth and thereabouts.

Surely if you commute more than a couple of hours each way, every day for a few months, it's going to knacker you out and you'll get sick of it.

Comment

If you spend 3 hours a day commuting in your car and work 46 weeks of the year, then you spend the whole (24*7) of feb in your car.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Sorry - should have been clearer. Travelling home every weekend, but the cost of going to London is 3 times that of going to Edinburgh - which is further away. 4 journies a month is close on £800. I use to buy my tickets in advance going to Edinburgh but was caught out a few time when I wanted to leave early and had to pay full cost for a new ticket.

(My nearest main station is Chester - there are some grim parts fairly close : Shotton, Queensferry, Lache)

Comment

weekender

Virgin, who operate the west coast line (london to manchester, liverpool and, im assuming, chester) do a "weekender" ticket for people just like you. You can buy it on a friday and travel up peak time, traveling back down peak time on monday morning. A peak return to Stoke is about 60 quid this way, so chester shouldnt be much more.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/buy_ti...d/default.aspx

choose "weekender"

Comment

Working...
                    X