PDA

View Full Version : Jury Service Summons

kaiser78
4th January 2011, 18:20
I have been summoned for jury service in February. I need to try and defer as this will i) affect my looking for a new contract role ii) if I am offered a new role between now and Feb I would need to tell client co before I start which could affect me being offered the role.

Side to this I have just read about the PCG jury service insurance, but don't have membership and need to confirm if I can take out membership now and then claim if I do proceed.

Any advice ?

Clippy
4th January 2011, 18:31
Try the search facility.

There are quite a few similar threads with some good info in them.

Mr.Whippy
4th January 2011, 18:36
Side to this I have just read about the PCG jury service insurance, but don't have membership and need to confirm if I can take out membership now and then claim if I do proceed.

Any advice ?My advice would be, don't do that. Not sure of the legal implications (if any), but don't you think they're likely to ask for some sort of evidence, like the letter you will probably have received, prior to coughing up?..... Unless of course you plan to tipex out the date on the letter and replace it with one after you've taken out the PCG membership.

kaiser78
4th January 2011, 18:37
Try the search facility.

There are quite a few similar threads with some good info in them.

Yes, I had a look through earlier with some good postings amongst the threads. However none in relation to my points i) and ii) above.

Clippy
4th January 2011, 18:45
Yes, I had a look through earlier with some good postings amongst the threads. However none in relation to my points i) and ii) above.

Then surely all you need to do is return the form requesting a deferment stating your two reasons above.

Mr.Whippy
4th January 2011, 18:49
Yes, I had a look through earlier with some good postings amongst the threads. However none in relation to my points i) and ii) above.Turn up on day one wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with "100% GUILTY AS CHARGED!!".... You'll only be there one day :)

AtW
4th January 2011, 18:58
Any advice ?

I'll give you one good advice - be FOOKING grateful you live in a country where, in the unfortunate event of being charged with something serious, you'd be able to expect a group of your peers to pass a judgement rather than having a judge rubber stamp prosecution claims.

Presumably you earn a lot doing contracting - one big reason why you can do it is because of rule of law in this country, and independence of judicial branch, which in large part is due to jury service.

So do you ******* duty.

SizeZero
4th January 2011, 19:01
I need to try and defer as this will i) affect my looking for a new contract role ii) if I am offered a new role between now and Feb I would need to tell client co before I start which could affect me being offered the role.

Or as a judge would determine: you are currently unemployed. Even unemployed people are excused from signing on while they do their civil duty, so I am sure you'd be treated the same manner.

Clippy
4th January 2011, 19:10
I'll give you one good advice - be FOOKING grateful you live in a country where, in the unfortunate event of being charged with something serious, you'd be able to expect a group of your peers to pass a judgement rather than having a judge rubber stamp prosecution claims.

Presumably you earn a lot doing contracting - one big reason why you can do it is because of rule of law in this country, and independence of judicial branch, which in large part is due to jury service.

So do you ******* duty.

It appears the OP isn't adverse to the potential odd white lie to HMG (http://forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/61584-expenses-declaration.html). :eyes

kaiser78
4th January 2011, 19:23
It appears the OP isn't adverse to the potential odd white lie to HMG (http://forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/61584-expenses-declaration.html). :eyes

What's that got to do with anything ? Where is the white lie ? Re-read the post.

Clippy
4th January 2011, 19:32
What's that got to do with anything ? Where is the white lie ? Re-read the post.

Suggest you re-read my post - highlighted the keyword for you: It appears the OP isn't adverse to the potential odd white lie to HMG.

With respect your OP, why not return the Jury summons with the actual reasons you have stated?

Because you know/suspect they will be rejected hence what you are actually asking is "what lie can I tell that will get me out of jury service". :eyes

thunderlizard
4th January 2011, 19:38
Being on the bench, I'd be tempted to get it over and done with. If you defer it, the next summons you get might be in the middle of a contract and cost you proper money. Of course it's all finger-in-the-air stuff.

AtW
4th January 2011, 19:47
I wonder how many people on here would refuse to be in the jury when Blair is finally on trial :eyes

MarillionFan
4th January 2011, 19:53
It's fairly straight forward. Just use the following lines when first spoken to.

1) The Michael Barrymore case - 'I hate poofters me!' - Juror is prejudiced.
2) The OJ Simpson case - 'I hate n******* me!' - Juror is racist
3) The Emmelline Pankhurst case - 'The Vote! You must be ******* joking!' - Juror is sexist
4) The Gary Glitter case - 'I love him. I think he's brilliant' - Juror is :rolleyes:

AtW
4th January 2011, 19:55
It's fairly straight forward. Just use the following lines when first spoken to.

1) The Michael Barrymore case - 'I hate poofters me!' - Juror is prejudiced.
2) The OJ Simpson case - 'I hate n******* me!' - Juror is racist
3) The Emmelline Pankhurst case - 'The Vote! You must be ******* joking!' - Juror is sexist
4) The Gary Glitter case - 'I love him. I think he's brilliant' - Juror is :rolleyes:

5) In MarillionFan vs People can - Juror: "I want out because he'll punch me again!"

MarillionFan
4th January 2011, 20:00
5) In MarillionFan vs People can - Juror: "I want out because he'll punch me again!"

6) AtW - 'Sorry no fixed abode':rolleyes:

DimPrawn
4th January 2011, 20:14

So do you ******* duty.

WHS.

AtW
4th January 2011, 20:21
WHS.

You live up norf now, do they even have court system there?

Probably not given that you've voluntarily moved there. :eyes

MarillionFan
4th January 2011, 20:25
You live up norf now, do they even have court system there?

Probably not given that you've voluntarily moved there. :eyes

Did you and Dimprawn just agree on something???

I must be on the wrong site.

AtW
4th January 2011, 20:30
Did you and Dimprawn just agree on something???

We've also just agreed to retire your character as too dull and too violent.

You've got time till tomorrow morning to make peace with people on here...

Alf W
4th January 2011, 20:41
When they wheel out the accused give him a big wave followed by a double thumbs up and a conspiratorial wink whilst muttering "in the bag" not quite under your breath.

Peoplesoft bloke
4th January 2011, 20:44

AVERSE

:spel

Paddy
4th January 2011, 21:28
I'll give you one good advice - be FOOKING grateful you live in a country where, in the unfortunate event of being charged with something serious, you'd be able to expect a group of Bigoted f’wits who can't even read the Sun newspaper and will never understand the legal arguments while they are thinking about their lunch.

So do you ******* duty.

FTFY

minestrone
4th January 2011, 21:36
"I am moving house next month and the new address will take me out of the area"

Works every time

Gonzo
5th January 2011, 00:40
Being on the bench, I'd be tempted to get it over and done with. If you defer it, the next summons you get might be in the middle of a contract and cost you proper money. Of course it's all finger-in-the-air stuff.I am inclined to agree.

When I received the first summons I was out of contract so asked to defer so it wouldn't stop me getting one (they accepted this without argument).

It turned out that I was still benched at the time that I had originally been called for.

Then, I was in contract when I received the second summons and ended up taking time out because I didn't want to try and defer a second time as I believe that that is when they start to get tulipty with you.

RichardCranium
5th January 2011, 08:59
Just plead insanity. It's worked for me every time so far.Interesting, but he's been called for jury duty, not as a defendant!

:D

ChimpMaster
5th January 2011, 09:18
If you're lucky you will be done in 2 weeks - but if you get put on a complex case like a murder etc then you could be in Jury service for many, many months...

kaiser78
5th January 2011, 10:33
I am inclined to agree.

When I received the first summons I was out of contract so asked to defer so it wouldn't stop me getting one (they accepted this without argument).

It turned out that I was still benched at the time that I had originally been called for.

Then, I was in contract when I received the second summons and ended up taking time out because I didn't want to try and defer a second time as I believe that that is when they start to get tulipty with you.

I think my decison is whether to accept the jury service in (end) Feb on the basis that I will still be on the bench, even though I am actively looking again now, or aim to defer with the risk that I could be in contract when the second summons arrives.

FiveTimes
5th January 2011, 10:56
I think my decison is whether to accept the jury service in (end) Feb on the basis that I will still be on the bench, even though I am actively looking again now, or aim to defer with the risk that I could be in contract when the second summons arrives.

If you defer it will give you a chance to get PCG membership and then make a claim on the jury service insurance

Churchill
5th January 2011, 11:02
If you defer it will give you a chance to get PCG membership and then make a claim on the jury service insurance

Even though he knows that he'll be recalled?

Sounds "sus" to me.

pmeswani
5th January 2011, 11:24
I wonder how many people on here would refuse to be in the jury when ATW is finally on trial :eyes

FTFY

Peoplesoft bloke
5th January 2011, 12:31
I'm a bit dissapointed I have never been called - been insured for ages too.

thunderlizard
5th January 2011, 13:12
1) The Michael Barrymore case - 'I hate poofters me!' - Juror is prejudiced

ah, but which way? prejudiced as in "send him down!" or prejudiced as in "I don't care how he drowned!" ? Maybe that would be the ideal position of disconnected impartiality.

pmeswani
5th January 2011, 13:22
I'm a bit dissapointed I have never been called - been insured for ages too.

I was asked in 1993/4, told them I was a student (which was the case), and they let me off. Haven't been asked since. :music: :banana:

minestrone
5th January 2011, 13:31
Was down at the Sheridan trial a few times last year. 3 months the jury was in for. That is a massive amount of lost earnings to a contractor.

Support Monkey
5th January 2011, 13:56
I got called up for Jury service when i was 18, i never bothered turning up to court on the day and never told them i was not turning up, never heard a thing about it ever again.
Mind you i would go now if i got the chance but i probably still have a warrant out for my arrest for non show

LazyFan
5th January 2011, 16:02
Hi,

In the event that you are asked to turn up, tell the registrar that they should inform the Judge and Briefs of your case that you will be exercising your right to Jury Nullification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification) and informing the other Jurors of this right as well. And that you wish to make it clear well in advance to everyone that you will be doing this so, there can be no complaints later on.

Judges hate Jury Nullification as it can lead to an actual change in the law by setting precedents; they often fail to inform the Jury of this right and quietly hide it through lack of transparency. If you state up front that you will be blabbing on about it everywhere, then you are stating your right to ignore the laws of the land (which is the Judges in their minds) so, they will have you out of court as soon as (trouble maker). And there will be no come back as it is within your rights and you have been honest by stating so, up front at the start. So, as not to cause trouble of course :tongue

This is a far safer way of being excused from any cases now and in the future, than turning up with the “Star Trek Hang the Judges High” T-Shirt, which will only get you in trouble and immediately assigned to the longest case in history.

SueEllen
5th January 2011, 18:15
I got called up for Jury service when i was 18, i never bothered turning up to court on the day and never told them i was not turning up, never heard a thing about it ever again.

That's the best way to get out of it according to my legally qualified/practising friends.

Not that I'm suggesting anyone does this......

Mind you i would go now if i got the chance but i probably still have a warrant out for my arrest for non show
A certain percentage of RM letters never get to their final destination or intended recipient, which courts know happens all the time* so you have nothing to worry about.

*I wonder how many court cases in all courts there are, where one party or the other including their legal team doesn't argue they didn't receive a letter in the post. :rolleyes:

moorfield
5th January 2011, 22:15
Any advice ?

I've replied on this also before.

Just pop your summons back in the post with "No longer at this address / Return to sender on it".

Worked for me.

:glasses

Tingles
6th January 2011, 07:33
I have been summoned for jury service in February. I need to try and defer as this will i) affect my looking for a new contract role ii) if I am offered a new role between now and Feb I would need to tell client co before I start which could affect me being offered the role.

Any advice ?

In futue, remove yourself from the electoral register...

Tone

Gonzo
6th January 2011, 07:37
In futue, remove yourself from the electoral register...

ToneWhich is fine until you try to obtain any financial services products .....

Much as it pains me to agree with Alexei, we should all be ******* pleased that this system exists and support it on the very rare occasion that it places a demand upon us.

minestrone
6th January 2011, 08:03
I go down the courts pretty often to see justice being done and the whole thing is a farce, lawyers who speak at 10 words a minute to get the most out of their daily rate, the police who can hardly string 5 words together. Why should I have to be forced by law to administrate over a sub section of society, I earn my daily rate, pay my taxes, it is not my problem.

I do not know what system they use to select people for jury, the girly gets called nearly every year, each time she writes back and tells them she is exempt, it has taken them 20 years to get to me again.

RichardCranium
6th January 2011, 08:07
Why should I have to be forced by law to administrate over a sub section of society, I earn my daily rate, pay my taxes, it is not my problem.

I do not know what system they use to select people for jury, the girly gets called nearly every year, each time she writes back and tells them she is exempt, it has taken them 20 years to get to me again.So you're cross at the thought of being called, and cross at only being called every 20 years.

You're becoming a Grumpy Old Git, minestrone.

Welcome to the club! :D

kaiser78
7th January 2011, 14:40
Okay, so I have spoken to both the Jury Summoning Bureau and the PCG and explained my situation.

The JSB have advised that I can accept the summons and should I find a contract up to 2 weeks before the jury service is due to commence I can apply for a deferral. So if I find a contract I defer, if I don't find a contract I attend.

The PCG have confirmed that as I am not a member of the PCG currently then the jury service cover does not apply (fair enough). If I become a member and I have deferred I can claim under this cover once called up again if I am in contract.

So all above board (Clippy) and gives me some options.

Clippy
7th January 2011, 14:46
Okay, so I have spoken to both the Jury Summoning Bureau and the PCG and explained my situation.

The JSB have advised that I can accept the summons and should I find a contract up to 2 weeks before the jury service is due to commence I can apply for a deferral. So if I find a contract I defer, if I don't find a contract I attend.

The PCG have confirmed that as I am not a member of the PCG currently then the jury service cover does not apply (fair enough). If I become a member and I have deferred I can claim under this cover once called up again if I am in contract.

So all above board (Clippy) and gives me some options.

Well done for doing what you should have done in the first place - contacted the Jury Service. :eyes