• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service Summons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service Summons

I have been summoned for jury service in February. I need to try and defer as this will i) affect my looking for a new contract role ii) if I am offered a new role between now and Feb I would need to tell client co before I start which could affect me being offered the role.

Side to this I have just read about the PCG jury service insurance, but don't have membership and need to confirm if I can take out membership now and then claim if I do proceed.

Any advice ?

Try the search facility.

There are quite a few similar threads with some good info in them.
    Last edited by Clippy; 4 January 2011, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Side to this I have just read about the PCG jury service insurance, but don't have membership and need to confirm if I can take out membership now and then claim if I do proceed.

Any advice ?
      My advice would be, don't do that. Not sure of the legal implications (if any), but don't you think they're likely to ask for some sort of evidence, like the letter you will probably have received, prior to coughing up?..... Unless of course you plan to tipex out the date on the letter and replace it with one after you've taken out the PCG membership.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Try the search facility.

There are quite a few similar threads with some good info in them.
        Yes, I had a look through earlier with some good postings amongst the threads. However none in relation to my points i) and ii) above.

Comment

Yes, I had a look through earlier with some good postings amongst the threads. However none in relation to my points i) and ii) above.
          Then surely all you need to do is return the form requesting a deferment stating your two reasons above.

Comment

Turn up on day one wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with "100% GUILTY AS CHARGED!!".... You'll only be there one day

Comment

Any advice ?
              I'll give you one good advice - be FOOKING grateful you live in a country where, in the unfortunate event of being charged with something serious, you'd be able to expect a group of your peers to pass a judgement rather than having a judge rubber stamp prosecution claims.

Presumably you earn a lot doing contracting - one big reason why you can do it is because of rule of law in this country, and independence of judicial branch, which in large part is due to jury service.

So do you ******* duty.

Comment

I need to try and defer as this will i) affect my looking for a new contract role ii) if I am offered a new role between now and Feb I would need to tell client co before I start which could affect me being offered the role.
                Or as a judge would determine: you are currently unemployed. Even unemployed people are excused from signing on while they do their civil duty, so I am sure you'd be treated the same manner.
                Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I'll give you one good advice - be FOOKING grateful you live in a country where, in the unfortunate event of being charged with something serious, you'd be able to expect a group of your peers to pass a judgement rather than having a judge rubber stamp prosecution claims.

Presumably you earn a lot doing contracting - one big reason why you can do it is because of rule of law in this country, and independence of judicial branch, which in large part is due to jury service.

So do you ******* duty.
                  It appears the OP isn't adverse to the potential odd white lie to HMG.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    It appears the OP isn't adverse to the potential odd white lie to HMG.
                    What's that got to do with anything ? Where is the white lie ? Re-read the post.

Comment

Working...
                    X