PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...

Spacecadet
5th January 2011, 11:34
Mice had a grotty little ball in the bottom to track movement

cailin maith
5th January 2011, 11:36

Yep and you had to take it out to clear it's belly button fluff.

EternalOptimist
5th January 2011, 11:47
and monitors were 3 feet deep and weighed more than an anvil

:rolleyes:

DimPrawn
5th January 2011, 11:55
You could leave your dog outside a shop tied to a post and it would still be there when you got back.

EternalOptimist
5th January 2011, 11:57
I havnt got a dog

DimPrawn
5th January 2011, 12:01
I havnt got a dog

Me neither.

Thieving bastards!

:tantrum:

RichardCranium
5th January 2011, 12:01
And you had to set the code page to get the £ and " working properly?

And when the <Alt GR> key appeared from nowhere?

And when everyone had little pads where the pages were entitled "Telephone message" because Post-Its had not yet appeared, but you did not have a 'phone on your desk because only managers, secretaries and people in Sales needed a telephone?

And finally being allowed to go into the print room to collect your own listings from the band printer rather than wait for one of the operators to tear it off and dump it in the "Printouts" tray?

And waiting for someone else's compilation to finish so yours could run? (Yeah, right. Just run it in the print batch queue instead. Bwa-ha-ha-haaa. :devil )

And setting the DIP switches on the modem to toggle 7/8 bit etc.?

And acoustic couplers?

And DimPrawn's dog's white turds on the pavement?

MarillionFan
5th January 2011, 12:06

and monitors were 3 feet deep and weighed more than an anvil

Remember! REMEMBER!

I don't need to remember. U should see the shite equipment clientco has given me! A DESKTOP FFS!!!!

RichardCranium
5th January 2011, 12:27
I remember disk packs that were measured in megabytes, not tens of megabytes, which were top-loaded into a drive the size of a 'fridge.

And reel-to-reel tape drives. And the need to know different sorting algorithms according to the medium holding the data.

And the benefit of not just drawing a diagonal line across the top of the card deck, but of doing one in another colour in another direction.

Pah. This industry's being going downhill ever since ISAM displaced hashed indexing. The kids today have it too easy.

EternalOptimist
5th January 2011, 12:33
remember when you first learned how to swap the buttons around on a mouse, and how you laughed like a drain when the nerd nearly bust a blood vessel

EternalOptimist
5th January 2011, 12:51
remember when they finally relaxed the 'no drinks or food' at the keyboard rule, and you had your first curry 'on the job'

yum yum

mudskipper
5th January 2011, 12:55
remember when you had a keypad condom with the EDT keystrokes on.

thunderlizard
5th January 2011, 13:00
I can remember Sinclair Microdrives. Whooooosht clickety whoooooosht GRRRRRRRR!

MarillionFan
5th January 2011, 13:03
remember when they finally relaxed the 'no drinks or food' at the keyboard rule, and you had your first curry 'on the job'

yum yum

Disgusting.

Having a curry while having a shag. You have taken it to a new low. :sick

darmstadt
5th January 2011, 14:58
Pah. This industry's being going downhill ever since ISAM displaced hashed indexing. The kids today have it too easy.

ISAM used hash tables which were used as indexes and ISAM was replaced by VSAM (Very Silly Access Method or VSAM ist grausam.)

minestrone
5th January 2011, 15:23
I remember going into my Dad's work in the 70s and the computer took up a whole room, no monitor, just a keyboard in the middle of the room and a printer.

BoredBloke
5th January 2011, 15:31
I remember when I could work with my ipod on. That was last year. Now they have decided to ban that. Concentrating is bloody hard with people talking shite around here

cailin maith
5th January 2011, 16:02
I remember when I could work with my ipod on. That was last year. Now they have decided to ban that. Concentrating is bloody hard with people talking tulipe around here

Thats your cue to stand up and shout - "Shut the F up!" I do it regularly. It's very satisfying, although my colleagues look horrified.

Lockhouse
5th January 2011, 16:09
Ah yes. Disk packs. Never had the multiplatter version.

The GA16-220 mini used cartridge drives with a fixed 5Mb platter & a removable 5Mb platter in a cartridge.

I rebuilt a cartridge once.

I started as a trainee operator 28 years ago. I used to change 200Mb disk platters (we had 5 washing machine drives!), change tapes, punch cards and vacuum out the line printer (remember line printers?). I remember when we got our first desktop and everyone on the floor below came up to look at it.

TykeMerc
5th January 2011, 16:20
I started as a trainee operator 28 years ago. I used to change 200Mb disk platters (we had 5 washing machine drives!), change tapes, punch cards and vacuum out the line printer (remember line printers?). I remember when we got our first desktop and everyone on the floor below came up to look at it.

I remember SMD disk pack drives, I was a mainframe engineer many years ago.

Line printers with 164 column hammer banks, those took actual engineering skill to align so that the flight times were correct for each hammer.

1" Keystone tape drives and skewing the heads were fun :)

BoredBloke
5th January 2011, 16:34
Thats your cue to stand up and shout - "Shut the F up!" I do it regularly. It's very satisfying, although my colleagues look horrified.

Perhaps I would if I were not so easily replaceable. How hard is it to find somebody to read the web all day!!

minestrone
5th January 2011, 16:37
You old timers.

I feel old remembering when Java was a few hundred classes.