• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shiny screens.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shiny screens.

Why did anyone every think this was a Good Idea?

If I wanted a mirror, I'd have bought a mirror not a monitor or a laptop.

Didn't we spend much of the 70s & 80s trying to get rid of shiny screens?

And now they're worse than ever.

Crystalbrite my arse.

agreed,

just bought a new laptop, had to specify wanted a 'mat' screen

goodness knows what the attraction is to the mirror ones

Milan.

Comment

he he

how's it going old timer, good Christmas, plenty of stuffing ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Why did anyone every think this was a Good Idea?
        I'm glad you posted that. I've been wanting to ask the same for a year or so but was frightened by the Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome: was it just me that couldn't see the image on the screen for my own sweet visage?

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Didn't we spend much of the 70s & 80s trying to get rid of shiny screens?
        Yep. We even spend £100+ on anti-glare filters that Velcroed onto the monitor. (For a few weeks, until the glue gave up.) (And were always ½" narrower than the screen.)
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The book of Job(s) says it is good.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Here we go:

CrystalBrite is Acer's marketing name for high-gloss laptop screens, representing the latest in anti-reflective LCD screen technology (anti-reflective technology).
            Riiiiight. So "high-gloss" now = "anti-reflective".

A quick Google search of reviews tells me it is a better option provided you don't use it outdoors, where there's windows, where there's bright lights, where the user is not illuminated, where is there is no bright light source behind you (e.g. a pale coloured wall) and where there are no reflections from light sources in front of you (e.g. the monitor screen if you are wearing glasses).

Conclusion: gloss screens are for use in the dark. With the brightness turned down. And your glasses off.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I've got two laptops I use day to day.

One has a traditional matt screen and the other a shiny screen.

Guess which ones doesn't get used except in a completely darkened room without any windows.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Here we go:

Riiiiight. So "high-gloss" now = "anti-reflective".

A quick Google search of reviews tells me it is a better option provided you don't use it outdoors, where there's windows, where there's bright lights, where the user is not illuminated, where is there is no bright light source behind you (e.g. a pale coloured wall) and where there are no reflections from light sources in front of you (e.g. the monitor screen if you are wearing glasses).

Conclusion: gloss screens are for use in the dark. With the brightness turned down. And your glasses off.
                Hehe. Wacking great windows here. Sunlight bouncing off the white wall behind me.

Brand spanking new monitor. Matt screen, no problems.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  I've got two laptops I use day to day.

Guess which ones doesn't get used except in a completely darkened room without any windows.
                  Is it the one with a splattering of jizz ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    Is it the one with a splattering of jizz ?

I thought the webcam was off.

Comment

Working...
                    X