• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Veggie powered car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veggie powered car

With diesel now soaring again, and spending around £5K a year in fuel, I am thinking about bio-diesel or running a car on veg oil.

My car cannot take this (as is a TDCI, meaning the re-cycling of the fuel to the tank after being pressurised oxidizes the veg oil).

Thinking about getting an old couple of K diesel, ideally with the fuel pump conversion (or can do this myself very easily if needed).

Has anyone seriously looked into this?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    With diesel now soaring again, and spending around £5K a year in fuel, I am thinking about bio-diesel or running a car on veg oil.

My car cannot take this (as is a TDCI, meaning the re-cycling of the fuel to the tank after being pressurised oxidizes the veg oil).

Thinking about getting an old couple of K diesel, ideally with the fuel pump conversion (or can do this myself very easily if needed).

Nope, try poorpermiesuk.co.uk

Comment

A litre of clean veg oil from the supermarket is not much cheaper than a litre of diesel.

SVO needs a heater in cold weather and possibly a new pump.

Bio Diesel involves faff, time and chemicals and storage.

Old chip oil involves dealing with Ian Beale.

So I'm out.

Comment

Wilmslow, you're in the wrong job.

You obviously can't afford the transport so either move house, work nearer home or get a job that will fund your hobby of spending most of your waking hours on the M62.

Comment

It will not oxidise.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          A litre of clean veg oil from the supermarket is not much cheaper than a litre of diesel.

SVO needs a heater in cold weather and possibly a new pump.

Bio Diesel involves faff, time and chemicals and storage.

Old chip oil involves dealing with Ian Beale.

So I'm out.
          Some basics;-
          MUST have Bosch pump, Lucas CAV will fail.
          If you use a Citroen, it comes with a pre-heater, no need to add one.
          Only up to 100% WVO in the summer but don’t leave it in the tank for long, run some Diesel through to flush it.
          Start with 30% WVO and 70% Diesel to find the optimum mixture.
          WVO has more power than Diesel.
          WVO and VO are getting more expensive to buy
          By law you can use up to 2,500 litres per year tax free.
          My WVO costs about 60p per litre 100miron
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Try www.foad.org

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Wilmslow, you're in the wrong job.

You obviously can't afford the transport so either move house, work nearer home or get a job that will fund your hobby of spending most of your waking hours on the M62.
              Therelies the problem. I am paid more than I should be for my skillset, even with the commute taken into account. I also work good hours, an hour each way as start and leave very early - should be home by 4pm this afternoon.

I am just rather hacked off at spending the best part of £5K on fuel before the other high commuting costs - I total around £7K including tyres, service and insurance etc. Even a decent high mileage tyre would help by a few hundred!

Comment

Moving closer to work not an option? No teleworking option at all.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  Moving closer to work not an option? No teleworking option at all.
                  Would you want to move to Bradford? Like the neighbourly entertertainment too much to move. To be honest, local rush hour is terrible from all corners, I am liking the one hour commute, just not the expense of the high albeit very quick mileage.

Teleworking - it is a very old school kind of place, and I am governing a lot of projects - ifmy working world was just the one project, that may be an option, but working 7-3 is a decent alternative I guess.

Comment

Would you want to move to Bradford? Like the neighbourly entertertainment too much to move. To be honest, local rush hour is terrible from all corners, I am liking the one hour commute, just not the expense of the high albeit very quick mileage.

Teleworking - it is a very old school kind of place, and I am governing a lot of projects - ifmy working world was just the one project, that may be an option, but working 7-3 is a decent alternative I guess.
                    Bradford's all right...there are a lot of nice towns circling it and of course there's Leeds next door. If you like working there and its long term why not?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X