• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stargazing Live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargazing Live

Anyone been watching? I could make some critical remarks about the content and presentation, but what caught my eye was this:

The XMM Newton telescope.

I appreciate that homo sapiens are the animal that never grew up and that certain shapes are ideally suited to spacetravel, which by remarkable coincidence also happens to coincide with attribute 1, but haven't scientists gone a bit overboard with this space phallus? Is this a testament to the pinnacle of human achievement, to place the most willy shaped object in orbit about mother Earth under thinly disguised pretence at scientific endeavour? To boldly put the biggest most cock shaped thing in to Earth orbit as never designed before?

Also, why weren't the Pioneer spacecraft cock-shaped?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Because they had a knob and boobies etched permanently onto them:

(She's got no pubes!)

Edit: Link to HUGE version: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r10-plaque.jpg
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 5 January 2011, 15:12. Reason: Changed to a MUCH smaller image
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You can pretty much guarantee that whenever there's a celestial event viewable from the UK the sky turns 'cloudy' for the entire duration.

Good program though.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Saw most of the first one on Monday and about half of yesterdays.

If the aim is to make Astronomy more accessible then, overall, I think it will work as the programme is enjoyable and informative.

However, for me, the presenting style as well as the overly casual dress of the presenters is a little off putting.

The Prof (Brian Cox) is pretty poor at presenting and clearly outside of his comfort zone.

He can't seem to stand still and needs to be strapped behind a desk and told to stick to the sciency bits.

Comment

To boldly put the biggest most cock shaped thing in to Earth orbit as never designed before?

This really is drawing a pair of hairy ones under the school desk taken to the nth. Wonder if the same engineers are looking at designing a mother ship.

It looks like a giant ...
          Last edited by lightng; 6 January 2011, 07:31.

Comment

Anyone been watching? I could make some critical remarks about the content and presentation, but what caught my eye was this:

The XMM Newton telescope.

I appreciate that homo sapiens are the animal that never grew up and that certain shapes are ideally suited to spacetravel, which by remarkable coincidence also happens to coincide with attribute 1, but haven't scientists gone a bit overboard with this space phallus? Is this a testament to the pinnacle of human achievement, to place the most willy shaped object in orbit about mother Earth under thinly disguised pretence at scientific endeavour? To boldly put the biggest most cock shaped thing in to Earth orbit as never designed before?

It's a telescope. It has to be long to enable the correct focal lengths of its lenses to be exploited. Any other equipment is strapped to the sides. Would you suggest that an extra half a tonne of cladding and plastic padding be added to make it look like a reliant robin?

What shape would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              It's a telescope. It has to be long to enable the correct focal lengths of its lenses to be exploited. Any other equipment is strapped to the sides. Would you suggest that an extra half a tonne of cladding and plastic padding be added to make it look like a reliant robin?

Little girl: "Reverend, why is there a metal chicken on the church roof?"

Vicar: "That is not a metal chicken. It is a weather cock. It shows which way the wind is blowing."

Little girl: "Why is it shaped like a cock?"

Vicar: "Because if it was shaped like a fanny, the wind would blow straight through it."

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

I'm waiting to see what the docking station will look like.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  That said, the babe in Hawaii seemed interesting.
                  The guy in the field knew his stuff - or dare I say it, was an expert in the field. Dara O'Briain was tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
                    This really is drawing a pair of hairy ones under the school desk taken to the nth.[/URL]
                    It's small Space Programme syndrome.

Comment

Working...
                    X