• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bored with contracting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bored with contracting.

Bored bored bored.

Present clientco is full of knobheads. The managers and most of the directors are junior to my perm role and frankly I haven't seen such a shower of tulip since I did the Public Sector. I've now developed and deployed all of their reqs and have 8 more weeks to run.

Could jump into a long term BA role close to home. Easy money but it's an unfulfilling job doing BA stuff.

Got ten days extra dev work with third client.

In all three cases I could string work out and go slower.

Think I need a new Plan B which beco
    es Plan A. Ideas?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You'd be bored with a plan b in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Could jump into a long term BA role close to home.
      Long term being, what, 4 months?

Comment

I a bored out my tits contracting. tulip jobs working for tulip companies working with tulip code and tulip managers who have tulip for brains.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I a bored out my tits contracting. tulip jobs working for tulip companies working with tulip code and tulip managers who have tulip for brains.
          WHS

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            WHS
            The problem with long term contracting is that after a while you've seen it all and done it all.

You don't set direction or strategy for the business but you enable. You know what worked and what didn't. You can see where it will all go wrong or what could work. You hear 'but we've always done it that way'

Frustrating doesn't even begin to express it.

Comment

Think I need a new Plan B which becomes Plan A. Ideas?
              Sell furniture to émigré Russians? Or sledges to snowed-in Brits? Or Italian wall tiles with football teams on 'em?

Or set up an ethical IT recruitment agency.

Or recruit Bobs and set up your own outsourcing agency.

Or a dating agency for geeks & nerds (since SockPuppet never got round to it).

Am I helping?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Sell furniture to émigré Russians? Or sledges to snowed-in Brits? Or Italian wall tiles with football teams on 'em?

Or set up an ethical IT recruitment agency.

Or recruit Bobs and set up your own outsourcing agency.

Or a dating agency for geeks & nerds (since SockPuppet never got round to it).

Am I helping?
                No. All been done to different levels of success.

Comment

To be bored with contracting is to be bored with life.

You have the ability to say who you will or won't work for, where you will or won't work, what you will or won't do.

If you are bored with the type of work you do then change. You have that freedom.

Actually, forget the above. Only boring people get bored.

Comment

You don't set direction or strategy for the business but you enable. You know what worked and what didn't. You can see where it will all go wrong or what could work. You hear 'but we've always done it that way'
                    Personally if I see that the client is doing something wrong then I'll tell them and show how it should be done. I've never had a bad response
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X