• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched in T-Minus 8 days - scary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched in T-Minus 8 days - scary

11 months contracting and fast approaching the reality of being benched.....

How do I deal with it when the inevitable happens?

Only 2-3 months warchest available.....

11 months contracting and only 2 - 3 months warchest????

Spend a few minutes finding out where all the money went and cursing the waste at your leisure.

Tone

Comment

2 - 3 months.

Well, it's a bit light, but doable.

Take a month off then come back with 4 - 8 weeks left of cash, before embarking on a lunatic drive of job applications, late night coffees and CUK General abuse.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

With less than 3 months before I ran out of cash, I'd cancel any spending I could unless I was walking straight into another gig. If you literally mean in 3 months you'll be flat broke that is.

To those tut-tutting... maybe he paid debts off with those 11 months' income.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          With less than 3 months before I ran out of cash, I'd cancel any spending I could unless I was walking straight into another gig. If you literally mean in 3 months you'll be flat broke that is.

To those tut-tutting... maybe he paid debts off with those 11 months' income.

Maybe...

Maybe not...

Perhaps it would have been better to keep some for emergency rather than paying off debts.

Tone

Tone

Comment

An emergency 3 months, perhaps. Oh...

Who knows, maybe he got divorced or had been long-term benched previously with debts that couldn't be held off. Maybe he'll tell us.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

household income got halved but i still managed to set some aside - effectively forced into contracting. I am talking about 3 months reasonably comfortably, might be able to stretch that out a bit more if i am really tight.

I had one phone interview yesterday and waiting on several agencies to get back to me - but I never count on those things...

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                Perhaps it would have been better to keep some for emergency rather than paying off debts
                Thank goodness you're not a financial advisor !

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Thank goodness you're not a financial advisor !

Yer need a decent buffer,

Tone
                  Last edited by Tingles; 5 January 2011, 21:16.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    11 months contracting and fast approaching the reality of being benched.....

How do I deal with it when the inevitable happens?

Only 2-3 months warchest available.....
                    What happened to all your optimism?
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1257158

I hope one of those roles comes up for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X