• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are things going to kick off this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are things going to kick off this year?

High inflation looks to be on the cards. It's getting too big to be concealed by deception and iPods now it seems, everyone appears to be noticing the real rate. And interest rates look set to remain well inflation for the foreseeable future, or the whole house of cards crumbles. So is high inflation, especially on essentials (food, clothes, transport), savings being wiped out, and below inflation wage increases and rioting and pillaging the order of the day?

Does it kick off soon?

No.

Next.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Interest rates will go up by at least 50% this year, remember you heard it on here first...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Interest rates will go up by at least 50% this year, remember you heard it on here first...
        By 0.25 percentage points?

Comment

Bread and circuses (Greggs and X-factor) - don't worry.

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post

Tone
            Chavoflage

Comment

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I bought dollars and gold last year with the aim of mitigating inflationary and currency debasement. Gold has done well in that time, but exchanging pounds for dollars was like jumping from the frying pan into another frying pan, and I'm not entirely sure that this debasement and inflationary process isn't going to continue for some time on both sides of the Atlantic.

What have you lot done to protect your savings, apart from having a house and/or a mortgage?

Comment

Spot on, although I'd substitute Iceland for Greggs.

The fact that almost every ad break in the run up to Xmas covered both these things would suggest you're on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I bought dollars and gold last year with the aim of mitigating inflationary and currency debasement. Gold has done well in that time, but exchanging pounds for dollars was like jumping from the frying pan into another frying pan, and I'm not entirely sure that this debasement and inflationary process isn't going to continue for some time on both sides of the Atlantic.

What have you lot done to protect your savings, apart from having a house and/or a mortgage?

jeeez why u$d why didn't you go for chf ?

in 2010 why would anyone jump from pounds to dollars ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X