• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you deal with a drop income or being out of work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you deal with a drop income or being out of work?

I've always wondered: what's it like to have been contracting for a long time (without forced breaks) and then be out of work for a while (i.e. no work around). Does it make you feel down, like you should be earning but can't? Is it weird to suddenly go from a decent income to nothing? It is a struggle to del with emotionally?

I've always thought of contracting as a stop/start way of working, but now I've become used to the income which my company makes, and I think I would find find it hard to emotionally deal with a drop in income - almost like I'm not 'achieving' any more.

I ask in all seriousness because I'm wondering how I would handle the situation, when it arises.

If I'm out of work it's by my choice. Getting a contract is a piece of piss. Keeping it is another.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I contract specifically to be out of work for long spells. I have far more interesting things to be doing than work in IT.

Comment

I was 'resting' for 6 months in the Summer of 2009 - really, really awful.

Nothing about - I should have just gone away somewhere and forgotten about contracting.

Depressed - blaming self, although no real contracts.

AND I had enough in the warchest to see me through - God knows what it would have been like if I had money issues too.

I got ITILv3 Expert qualified.

If it happens again, I'll be much better prepared.

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          I've always wondered: what's it like to have been contracting for a long time (without forced breaks) and then be out of work for a while (i.e. no work around). Does it make you feel down, like you should be earning but can't? Is it weird to suddenly go from a decent income to nothing? It is a struggle to del with emotionally?

I've always thought of contracting as a stop/start way of working, but now I've become used to the income which my company makes, and I think I would find find it hard to emotionally deal with a drop in income - almost like I'm not 'achieving' any more.

I ask in all seriousness because I'm wondering how I would handle the situation, when it arises.
          I think I hace spotted your mistake, never live to 100% of your means in contracting. I live on 20-25% of my means. Then I take time off travel etc. That's why I am in contracting.

HTH
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
            <snip>
            If it happens again, I'll be much better prepared.

Tone
            --> I'm interested to know, how?

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            I think I hace spotted your mistake, never live to 100% of your means in contracting. I live on 20-25% of my means. Then I take time off travel etc. That's why I am in contracting.

HTH
            I didn't mean financially dependent on the money, I meant more from an achievement point of view. I also invest/save/not spend most of the company income as there is no need to.

I guess it's like using earning power as a gauge for seniority or importance. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone

Comment

I live on 20-25% of my means. Then I take time off travel etc. That's why I am in contracting.
              Me too (well that's the longer term plan), but cripes, I thought I was pretty thrifty and can live on about 50% of means... and that's with no dependents. Either you are queen moneysaver or you can command a humungous rate. Either way, well done.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I think I hace spotted your mistake, never live to 100% of your means in contracting. I live on 20-25% of my means.
                I too only live to 20-25% of my income
                The wife how ever lives on the other 75-80%
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  I too only live to 20-25% of my income
                  The wife how ever lives on the other 75-80%
                  A range of 95-105%?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    I was out for a few months earlier in the year and it didn't affect me at all.
                    Mind you I've a big warchest and don't really need to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X