• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance again - which Insurer for your 17 year old on your policy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance again - which Insurer for your 17 year old on your policy?

Having grumbled about Direct Line in another thread, my cheapo insurer won't let me add my 17 year old daughter to my policy so she can drive my car as a learner.

This must be a common enough situation. Any recommendations for an insurer who does this at reasonable cost?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Having grumbled about Direct Line in another thread, my cheapo insurer won't let me add my 17 year old daughter to my policy so she can drive my car as a learner.

This must be a common enough situation. Any recommendations for an insurer who does this at reasonable cost?
    Just added my daughter to mine for a month - she's got her test in a few weeks so will review then.

Tesco charged £50 for the month - that included a £15 admin fee. That was a lot cheaper than I'd feared!

Comment

check these out Insurance for Learner Drivers | Instant Quote Online from Provisional Marmalade

My Insurance company wanted another £400 for my 17 year old son on a 1.4 ford fiesta, with this plan i insured him for 2 months while he was learning under is own insurance policy so there would have been no hit on my no claims if he had bumped it.

When he passed his test the cheapest quote for a 2000 1.2 Renault Clio was £2500

Also check out this for newly qualified drivers Young Driver Car Insurance - Young Driver Insurance

Its a lease scheme for new drivers to buy nearly new cars and the monthly cost covers the insurance

Comment

Just to add to this, When my son passed his test and we had the quote for £2500 i decided this was to much so i insured the car for myself through Churchill and added him as an additional driver it was still £1100 but churchill will give him up to 3 years no claims when he takes out an individual policy with them.

Footnote: it is an offence to add your children to the policy as an additional driver if they are the main driver of the car, its called fronting and you could find the insurance company will not pay out.

I use the car all week as my son gets picked up for work he only uses it weekends so I am the main driver

Comment

Thanks folks.

Quotes I'm getting are currently looking for £1600 (best case) to £2500 additional to my premium

Comment

Thanks folks.

Quotes I'm getting are currently looking for £1600 (best case) to £2500 additional to my premium

Does daddy drive a range rover?

Try a fiat 500 instead...
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              Footnote: it is an offence to add your children to the policy as an additional driver if they are the main driver of the car, its called fronting and you could find the insurance company will not pay out.
              Of course you can add them, provided of course they are declared as the main user. Do that and you are not fronting, indeed it's often the only way to do it because the child will normally not have an insurable interest.

Comment

Thanks folks.

Blimey, nearly a weeks pay!

Comment

Thanks folks.

Have you thought about buying an old landrover? They used to be cheap(ish) to insure.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Does daddy drive a range rover?

Try a fiat 500 instead...
                    Got a chip on your shoulder, sonny?
                    Range Rovers are common as muck around here, I wouldn't lower myself.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Have you thought about buying an old landrover? They used to be cheap(ish) to insure.
                    Nice idea, but if I get another car, Fiat or Landrover, I won't be the main driver (daughter will) which will I suspect make the premium even more. The 'modest' additions I'm seeing at the moment are because daughter will be only an 'occasional' driver of my car (an old Golf diesel).

I'll try a few of the links provided by other posters.

Comment

Working...
                    X