• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Washing substance nomenclature

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing substance nomenclature

Fairy Liquid
    The stuff you wash the dishes with.

Washing up liquid
    Own-brand Fairy Liquid.

Washing powder
    The dried stuff you wash your clothes with. Goes in a drawer.

Washing powder liquid
    The liquid form of washing powder. Goes in a gadget in the machine on top of the clothes instead of in the drawer.

Gel washing powder liquid
    A small false breast that goes in the washing machine under the clothes instead of powder in the drawer or in a gedget on top of the clothes.

Dishwasher tablet
    A Finish tablet of dishwasher powder.

Dishwasher powder
    A Finish tablet of dishwasher powder but as a powder.

Dishwasher powder liquid
    The own-brand squirty stuff that goes in the dishwasher's little compartment intended for a Finish tablet.

The Icelandics do not use English words in their language. They make up suitable Icelandic words instead. I think the Icelandics have the right idea. Some of these things need their own name.

Have you got better names for some of this stuff?

<cough> <wheeze> <sniff>
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Then there's probably

Full fat
    Skinny
    Decaf

varieties of all of those
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Why have you listed duplicate items, i.e. Fairy Liquid and Washing Up Liquid?
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        Why have you listed duplicate items, i.e. Fairy Liquid and Washing Up Liquid?
        Bless

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Bless
          The point I'm trying to make, halfwit - is that this 'list' is a meaningless rant.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

The point I'm trying to make, halfwit - is that this 'list' is a meaningless rant.
            There are no duplicates.

HTH

Comment

Ah I see.

You and RC are clearly on the same wavelength then. Scary stuff.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Ah I see.

You and RC are clearly on the same wavelength then. Scary stuff.

Comment

You could probably substitute Fairly Liquid for all of them, plus use it for household cleaning, washing and shampooing. I'm assuming that fairly Liquid is the gold standard of course, with the others just mere expensive weakened forms of pure Fairly Liquid.

Comment

Ok, Ok. Look, here's how the list looks in my world:

Washing up liquid
                    This is what I call washing up liquid, regardless of brand.

Washing powder OR liquid OR gel
                    There's no such thing as 'washing powder liquid' as that seems a bit of a contradiction. Ditto the gel/powder conundrum.

I don't have a dishwasher.

I am also laughing that TW straight away suggested Fairy Liquid can be used for everything, cos I knew he would.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X