• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would it be practical to live in Spain and commute weekly to the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be practical to live in Spain and commute weekly to the UK?

Thinking of moving to a villa by the sea. This cold is killing me.

Would it be practical to locate to (for example) a location 10 miles from say Malaga airport and catch an EasyJet flight to the UK every week?

Flights are cheap from Spain (don't seem to double the ticket price with taxes and other UK ripoff extras), about £85 return.

I've never attempted to live in one country and work in another.

Perhaps buy something like this.

5 bedroom villa for sale in Andalusia, Málaga, Mijas, Spain

or this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-...-16354659.html
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 7 January 2011, 12:52.

Comment

I took the bus from Malaga Airport to Gibraltar last summer. There are some really posh bits on the way, though there were some slummy bits too. Fantastic scenery. I may hire a car (if I ever get a credit card) and redo the journey by car one day.

Comment

Indeed it is but Spain is cold and wet as well, so what's the point, well it's warmer, and it wouldn't snow, but the weather is still pretty sh*te in the Winter.

Pointless really you might as well book a few weekends away in January and February. For 5 days a week you're still going to be stuck in Britain.

Nope not worth it....take a few long weekends and fly somewhere that is actually warm in the Winter like Tenerife.

Weather Cam in Malaga

Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 January 2011, 13:08.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Indeed it is but Spain is cold and wet as well, so what's the point, well it's slightly warmer, and it wouldn't snow a lot, but the weather is still pretty sh*te in the Winter.

Pointless really you might as well book a few weekends away in January and February. For 5 days a week you're still going to be stuck in Britain.

Nope not worth it....take a few long weekends and fly somewhere that is actually warm in the Winter like Tenerife.
          The winter in Southern Spain right on the coast is not tulip at all. Doesn't get cold.

I agree inland and high altitude moutain regions can be very cold as can northern spain but not Malaga!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1laga#Climate

It experiences the warmest winters of any European city with a population over 500,000 and over 100,000 jointly with two other cities in Spain: Almería and Alicante. Average temperature during the day in the period December-January-February is 17.23 °C (63.0 °F). During the winter, the Malaga Mountains (Montes de Málaga) block out the cold weather from north.[5]

Subtropical–Mediterranean climate.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Thinking of moving to a villa by the sea. This cold is killing me.

Would it be practical to locate to (for example) a location 10 miles from say Malaga airport and catch an EasyJet flight to the UK every week?

Flights are cheap from Spain (don't seem to double the ticket price with taxes and other UK ripoff extras), about £85 return.

I've never attempted to live in one country and work in another.

No, because you can't rely on Easyjet, you won't get the fare you want at the day and time you want and you will end up paying £250 per flight and not £85.

BTW, doing the same in Europe, I found driving the car for six hours was better
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The villa is called Londra, how tacky.

Right up your street them dim.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                No, because you can't rely on Easyjet, you won't get the fare you want at the day and time you want and you will end up paying £250 per flight and not £85.

BTW, doing the same in Europe, I found driving the car for six hours was better
                Filling up my car costs about £250 now and that only lasts a week.

Comment

Serious reply (in General, I know )

Commuting to/from the mainland each week is fine as long as your client is not a 9-5 Bum on Seat type.

You will need to consider how you intend to live whilst back in blighty as hotels each week will drive you mental IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Filling up my car costs about £250 now and that only lasts a week.
                    What happened to your dream life in Prawn Mansions ? I think you are just missing Swindon.

Comment

Working...
                    X