• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alan Johnson struggles over National Insurance rates on live television

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Johnson struggles over National Insurance rates on live television

Alan Johnson has been dogged by claims that he is not knowledgeable enough to be an effective opponent to George Osborne in times of economic hardship.

His latest slip was seized upon by both Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats as an example of his lightweight ability.

Mr Johnson appeared on Sky News on Sunday to criticise the Coalition Government’s announcement that VAT will rise to 20 per cent, a move he described as “fiscal fundamentalism”.

Labour wants to increase national insurance as a way of tackling the deficit.

Accused of being an economic “novice”, Mr Johnson said: “The accusation of economic novice is that when you take over a new job, you have to ensure that you bone up on these things.”
    A few seconds later, presenter Dermot Murnaghan asked the shadow minister to give the current rate of employers’ national insurance contributions.

Mr Johnson tried to avoid the question before he said it would increase by one per cent, rising from 20 per cent to 21 per cent.

Mr Murnaghan interrupted, to say: “Sorry, National Insurance, employers' secondary class one-rate for employers, stands at the moment at …?”

There was an awkward pause where Mr Johnson appeared unable to answer before the presenter came to his rescue, telling him the figure of 12.8 per cent.

Mr Murnaghan went on: “Right, OK, I helped you out there. Just out of interest, there is still a lot to learn for you in terms of the job.”

The shadow chancellor replied: “There's not a lot to learn about how we tackle this deficit.”

Source: Alan Johnson struggles over National Insurance rates on live television - Telegraph

Shadow Chancellor does not know what NI rate is, but he wants to get it up by 1 per cent!!!

Gordon Brown would have known the answer, but that doesn't mean he was a good Chancellor.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Gordon Brown would have known the answer, but that doesn't mean he was a good Chancellor.
      No, but if you don't even know the answer to the tax rate you plan to increase then it makes you even worse than Gordon Brown.

HTH

Comment

Who is he, anyway?
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 9 January 2011, 22:40.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          No, but if you don't even know the answer to the tax rate you plan to increase then it makes you even worse than Gordon Brown.

HTH
          Sometimes (as I think you've demonstrated in the past) a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Sometimes (as I think you've demonstrated in the past) a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
            Life is a dangerous thing - those who want to take #2 job in the country dealing with fundamental economic problems should at the very least be competent with core numbers, especially if they plan to change them - the guy is ex-postman, career politician who should have never ever been allowed to be ever remotely close to economic affairs.

He makes Osborne look professional and that says everything

Comment

Life is a dangerous thing
              Whoosh.
              - those who want to take #2 job in the country dealing with fundamental economic problems should at the very least be competent with core numbers, especially if they plan to change them - the guy is ex-postman, career politician who should have never ever been allowed to be ever remotely close to economic affairs.

He makes Osborne look professional and that says everything
              In case you hadn't noticed, I wasn't defending him.

Comment

In case you hadn't noticed, I wasn't defending him.
                I know, you can't even defend yourself

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Who is he, anyway?
                  To answer my own question:

Proper lower-class upbringing, via grammar school which he did not complete, shelf stacker then postie. Politics to the far left, worked his way up the union structure (a good way of avoiding work which, even as a postie, is occasionally expected) to General Secretary of the Communication Workers Union.

So, apart from teenage years as a shelf-stacker, has not really done any real work; he is a "professional politician". I.e. parasite.

Was Parliamentary Private Secretary to 'our special friend' Dawn Primarolo in 1997.

When in the Cabinet, did not seem able to hold a post for 12 months.

As Health Secretary, criticised a breast cancer patient for attempting to buy a cancer treatment which the NHS had denied her. (Silly arse.)

When the medical profession stood up to government and went public with the proof cannabis ain't good for the mental health and ecstasy shouldn't be classed the same as heroin, he was the bloke wot sacked the Chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, Professor David Nutt, because "I cannot have public confusion between scientific advice and government policy". That is, the professor refused to tell lies for the government. (Seven members of the Advisory Council then resigned.)

As Home Secretary, Johnson insisted that the torture of Guantanamo Bay detainees had been “baseless, groundless accusations” and he covered up earlier statements that the Security Service had failed to respect human rights and deliberately misled Parliament.

So, the man is an incompetent liar who has never held down either a proper job nor a political one, and his decisions are poor and politically motivated.
                  Last edited by RichardCranium; 10 January 2011, 00:07.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

He makes Ed Balls look like a competent economist - he should have stuck to sorting out Royal Mail as he is supposedly competent as post delivery

Comment

Working...
                    X