• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITV footie coverage ruined by Adverts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITV footie coverage ruined by Adverts

As it's an FA cup weekend it's ITV that get to show the highlights.

Number and length of adverts is appalling. When you add on the analysis I doub't that a third of the program is actually football....

Yeah, got proper TV recently (Sky), and noticed those Babylon 5 / Farscape stuff on it - ffs adverts like every 10 mins, and they ain't 30 seconds either FFS - going to watch them off my DVDs now.

Comment

That's what Sky+ was made for.

We never watch ITV, Ch4, 5, etc live anymore. We record it and watch it 20 minutes later, blitzing the ads.

We never used to mind them but they're now almost as frequent as Sky ads.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

C4 ads are still mostly on 30min intervals, except in 30 minute programs. However quite recently I've noticed that on short programs, they are showing the entire program with NO adverts, which is pretty cool. I think it's only out of peak times - I've seen it around 8am and 11pm.

Compared to Sky, C4 is brilliant. It's crazy you pay more to watch more ads. But I understand that even English Sky is still better than US TV?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

We never watch ITV, Ch4, 5, etc live anymore. We record it and watch it 20 minutes later, blitzing the ads.
          WSS. Haven't watched ads for years. Every now and again I find myself watching something on live TV, but then as soon as there's an ad break I'll press record and watch something else instead. Or just switch off the TV.

Don't know about ITV (honestly why would anybody ever watch anything on ITV), but lots of the pay channels (the UK Gold ones are the worst) have ad breaks that go on forever.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What bugs me more than adverts on sky are the crap documentaries where the repeat everything you have just watched to pad it out

Something like seconds from disaster is a good example. First section of the show you see all the passengers getting on a plane and taking off a bit of a back story about some of the passengers. Then a bang and the plane falls out of the sky. Then adverts. Then they show you the passengers getting back on the plane and it crashing. What's the point of this other than to pad a 30 min show to a 60 min one! to get those who have just tuned in to get up to speed - feck em, if they couldn't be arsed tuning in from the start!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              What bugs me more than adverts on sky are the crap documentaries where the repeat everything you have just watched to pad it out
              It's American documentaries that do that, nothing to do with them being on Sky (Five show many of the same ones). Typically the narration has been redone by a British voice artist, but they're obviously American made programmes.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                It's American documentaries that do that, nothing to do with them being on Sky (Five show many of the same ones). Typically the narration has been redone by a British voice artist, but they're obviously American made programmes.
                WHS. I once tried watching one about Hollywood car stunts.

It was really about one stunt. The repetition was mind numbing.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

We never used to mind them but they're now almost as frequent as Sky ads.
                  I got into the habit of doing this when I realised that they whopped up the volume for ads. Nip to the kitchen for a cup of tea and you could find that the ads were blasting the neighbourhood out.

ITV apparently got their hands slapped for this.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I realise that - it's just that I tend to watch them on sky!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X