• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before HMRC start to leave me alone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before HMRC start to leave me alone?

OK. Those of you that know me know that I have been out of the UK since December 2008.

I submitted my 2009/2010 tax return in October (I was still a company Director at this stage so still had to submit a return).

Last month HMRC wrote me a letter saying that based on the figures that I had supplied I owed £0.

Sweet, I thought.

I was wrong.

Last week I received another letter from HMRC saying that they are unable to collect £400 that I owed from my 2007/2008 tax return through my tax code because my PAYE income is too low so they have transferred the amount to my SA account and they expect me to pay by 21st January or I will face penalties and interest.

I just hope that you lot spend it wisely.

Oi! Do you mind? Sitting there, supping your New Zealand wine and watching the fantastic scenery not go by and using up our civil servants' time? Your new Hector chums not good enough for you, eh?

If you're gonna clear off, clear off properly. You've got your own civil servants now. Leave ours alone.

I dunno. Bloody emigrants. Going over there, using our services and still moaning. Bastards. Should bring the buggers back home, that's what I say.

Last edited by RichardCranium; 10 January 2011, 06:57. Reason: That needed a smiley adding.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You have filled out the form that you've left the UK presumably, otherwise they might keep pestering you.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 January 2011, 07:06.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Your new Hector chums not good enough for you, eh?
        I am sure that you won't be surprised to learn that the tax system here is far less complicated than the one in the UK.

On top of that, things like online registration are quick and easy.

They charge you too much and almost everyone has to apply for a refund at the end of the tax year but you can do that online and it takes about a week for them to process it.

In every shopping mall there is a stand where an intermediary offers to reclaim your tax for you, for a fee, but I have never once seen any potential customers talking to them.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        You have filled out the form that you've left the UK presumably, otherwise they might keep pestering you.
        P85. Yes, done that.

There are plenty of recent emigrants that have kept property in the UK that they are letting out and UK tax is due on that income which is fair enough but that doesn't apply in my case and they know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          I am sure that you won't be surprised to learn that the tax system here is far less complicated than the one in the UK.

On top of that, things like online registration are quick and easy.

They charge you too much and almost everyone has to apply for a refund at the end of the tax year but you can do that online and it takes about a week for them to process it.

Got a spare room?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Last week I received another letter from HMRC saying that they are unable to collect £400 that I owed from my 2007/2008 tax return through my tax code because my PAYE income is too low so they have transferred the amount to my SA account and they expect me to pay by 21st January or I will face penalties and interest.

How bizarre! Normally we wait until AFTER the crime has been committed before sending people to that neck of the woods. Ah well..........that's progress for you.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I left the UK in February 2002. March 2003, I got a letter from HMRC saying they were unable to collect the £800 I owed them (which I did), through PAYE. Fair enough.

And if payment wasn't received by January 31st 2003 - i.e. two months before receiving the letter, I'd have to pay penalties and interest. This was due to a cockup on HMRC's part. So they waived the penalty. I paid the outstanding amount and the interest. And I've never heard from them since.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Got a spare room?
                You should look before you leap.

While some things are done much better here that is not universally the case, not by a long way.

Have you wondered why I continue to look at a UK forum in order to soak up some quality banter?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  And I've never heard from them since.
                  They also sent me a revised SA statement and that does show that if I cough up the £400 now then next year I will owe nothing.

The letters that HMRC are sending me these days are posted from Malta. Is that the same for the rest of you?

Comment

Have you wondered why I continue to look at a UK forum in order to soak up some quality banter?
                    You mean people there aren't fed up and have little to moan about, so you need the UK to export you some misery?

CUK being Britain's leading exporter of whining.

Comment

Working...
                    X