• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone Been To Moscow ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Been To Moscow ?

Whilst I am on the bench I am thinking of going away on a short break. I have always wanted to go to Moscow to see the Kremlin/Red Square etc and am thinking of going there for 2-3 days on my own.

Has anyone been and any views ?

Just be careful. thats all i am saying. oh, make sure you have a will

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm sure our resident Russian AtW has? I've never been myself.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Whilst I am on the bench I am thinking of going away on a short break. I have always wanted to go to Moscow to see the Kremlin/Red Square etc and am thinking of going there for 2-3 days on my own.

Has anyone been and any views ?
        Been many times on business and tourist.

Moscow is no longer cheap. There is plenty to do but if you stay for longer I would suggest that you also take a train ride to another city to see the real Russia and it is also much cheaper.

The visa system is a hangover from Soviet times. You will need a hotel voucher for accommodation, (the voucher is worth nothing) you can get it online and will cost about £10.00. You then download a visa form and you can either get the visa by post or in person ant the CIS consulate. The more you pay; the quicker is the issue (you can get the same day).

You don’t have to go to the hotel on the voucher; but when you stay at a hotel make sure that the hotel stamps your passport. If they don’t have the facilities you must go to the registration office within three days of arrival to the city you are staying. Get the addresses before you travel.

NB: Make sure you passport is stamped in Moscow before you leave!

I would suggest that at a minimum you learn the Cyrillic alphabet so that you can read a few signs. Moscow transport is very good and most private cars act as unofficial taxis. Always negotiate your fare first. Never get a taxi from the airport as they are only there to rip you off. Use the public transport and minibuses.

Russians like foreigners especially English speakers. It's common to buy drinks for strangers.

Take no notice of AtW.
        Last edited by Paddy; 10 January 2011, 12:08.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you are going to go then make sure you use a recommended travel agent, as they will have to sponsor your visa.

You can book via expedia ect.. but sorting out the visa via the embassy often takes longer as you have to prove where you are staying, that you have return flights and have an invitation letter (which is normally sorted out by the travel company).

St Petersburg is really nice as well especially this time of year the tourist sites are less busy.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Take no notice of AtW.
            WHS.

Comment

learn this, or print it on a card. Show it if you get picked up by the Stasi or the KGB.

Я сдаюсь. Возьмите меня к вашему commisar, я имею ценную информацию для него

roughly translated to

I surrender. Take me to your commisar, I have valuable information for him

it might help you to get out in one piece.
              good luck. and dont drink the water.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                learn this, or print it on a card. Show it if you get picked up by the Stasi or the KGB.

Я сдаюсь. Возьмите меня к вашему commisar, я имею ценную информацию для него

roughly translated to

I surrender. Take me to your commisar, I have valuable information for him

it might help you to get out in one piece.
                good luck. and dont drink the water.

The do a lovely drink called a Polonium-210.

Try ordering one at the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  The do a lovely drink called a Polonium-210.

Try ordering one at the bar.
                  yep. but if they ask you if you want an umbrella in it, run like heck

I had this mate, right. tragic it was . tragic

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X