• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birmingham

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birmingham

Britain's most workshy estate: The community of scroungers where just ONE person works | Mail Online

Britain’s worst benefits blackspot has been revealed – an area where just one person works for a living.
    The rundown Cottsmeadow Estate in Washwood Heath, Birmingham tops a table of workshy communities.
    Official figures show that 99.1 per cent of working-age adults there live off state handouts.

I bet 99.1% of them vote Labour too!

AtW, why do you want to spend your life there?

I bet very few in the estate can be bothered to vote to be honest - would be interested to see the voter turnout figures...

Wiki doesn't show the turnout for Washwood Heath directly but shows a turnout across the whole area of 56%

Birmingham Hodge Hill (UK Parliament constituency) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birmingham, Hodge Hill - politics.co.uk

The constituency covers a diverse area of east Birmingham, including the predominantly Asian inner-city area of Washwood Heath and the mostly white area of Shard End on the city's eastern boundary, as well as Hodge Hill itself. The constituency is one of the most deprived in the region and contains very few middle-class residents.
    Interesting to see over the decades the huge reduction in the Conservative vote.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      AtW, why do you want to spend your life there?
      I can't speak for AtW, but I can tell you that Birmingham has a very succesful way of dealing with the workshy and the feckless. Stuff them into tulipty estates like 'Cottsmeadow' while maintaining some rather smart places, such as Edgbaston (AtW's haunt), and keeping the surrounding countryside relatively chav-free, as well as redeveloping the city centre into something that could almost be called fashionable.

Perhaps they should try it in London.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I can't speak for AtW, but I can tell you that Birmingham has a very succesful way of dealing with the workshy and the feckless. Stuff them into tulipty estates like 'Cottsmeadow' while maintaining some rather smart places, such as Edgbaston (AtW's haunt), and keeping the surrounding countryside relatively chav-free, as well as redeveloping the city centre into something that could almost be called fashionable.
        A bit like District 13?

Or was it District 9? The one with parkour experts they were going to bomb, not the one with prawns.

Comment

Good point. Concentrating chavs is sound policy.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I bet 99.1% of them vote Labour too!
            and I bet they call themselves working class. Surely there should be a non working class
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              and I bet they call themselves working class. Surely there should be a non working class
              I would be working, but it's me back see? Makes me too depressed for work 'innit?

Comment

Among 105 people who could hold jobs, forklift truck driver James Beards is believed to be the only resident who is in full-time employment.
                Somebody should give that guy a mortgage so he can go and live somewhere better.

I have sympathy for him.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  A bit like District 13?

Or was it District 9? The one with parkour experts they were going to bomb, not the one with prawns.
                  "Ha-ha. Yeah, you sneaky fookin' prawns, heh?"
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Stuff them into tulipty estates like 'Cottsmeadow' while maintaining some rather smart places, such as Edgbaston (AtW's haunt),
                    Aye.

I am in Harborne, that's next to Edgebaston and much better overall - very good pubs on high street

Comment

Working...
                    X