• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Royal Wedding hit by Tube Strike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Wedding hit by Tube Strike

PRINCE William and Kate Middleton's wedding looks set to be disrupted by a planned Tube strike.

London Underground drivers could take action on the day of the royal marriage in a row over pay, union officials warned today.
    Aslef said it was considering calling its members out on April 29.
    It means well-wishers wanting to stand near Westminster Abbey to join in the celebrations could now find themselves stranded on the big day.
    Drivers went on strike on Boxing Day in the dispute over bank holiday pay, which remains stuck in deadlock.
    London Underground took legal action to try to halt the walkout but it failed and the strike went ahead, causing disruption on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.
    Aslef is demanding three days' pay and a day off in lieu for working bank holidays.
    London Underground managing director Mike Brown said: "Tube drivers already have very fair levels of pay and get around seven weeks holiday a year, including allowance for bank holidays.
    "The Aslef leadership is tearing up long-standing agreements that cover pay and annual leave and demanding even more - triple time and another day off.
    "Londoners will simply be stunned at such a claim. The only way to resolve this issue is by getting round the table for constructive talks.
    "I urge the Aslef leadership to end pointless strike threats and work with us to resolve this without any disruption to London."
    Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman rounded on the suggestion of a strike on April 29.
    He said: "Any such plans will be seen as a cynical attempt to undermine a day of national celebration."

Triple time and a day off for working a bank holiday! What ******* planet are the unions on???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Quite. Nowt to add to your last. Bunch of overpaid door operatives. Get rid of them, replace them all by computers.

PS Replace the Royal family by computers too. I've got an old 386SX in the attic somewhere that could easily do the Prince of Daftness' job.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 10 January 2011, 22:05.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Did they plan to use the Tube to get to the wedding place?

Next time they should use Rolls Royce - just ask Camilla, she'd not be using one for some time

Comment

Well next time one of use contractor types needs to work on a bank holiday then it's triple time and a day in leiu!

Where do they get off?

Comment

Saw the Aslef twat on the news the other day. His argument was "people who work in shops get triple time and a day off, so we want it too".

If you want to go and work in a shop, do so. You knew what the terms were when you started your job pressing stop/go.

Jealous little twats.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Saw the Aslef twat on the news the other day. His argument was "people who work in shops get triple time and a day off, so we want it too".
            Not on this planet they don't.

If I were Bill & Kate I'd say "Sod 'em" and either use Granny's place at Sandringham, ask Daddy if we can use one of the old Royal castles in Wales, or please Grandad and just bugger off up to Edinburgh and have it done there.

Mrs RC's reaction was they should sneak off one one of these beach holiday / wedding packages in the next few weeks, then come back and tell everyone it's already done.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

If you want to go and work in a shop, do so. You knew what the terms were when you started your job pressing stop/go.

Jealous little twats.
              Not in my shop they don't. They get normal time.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Not in my shop they don't. They get normal time.
                No tripple pay either?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  No tripple pay either?
                  AFAIC a day is a day. Why unions think a Sunday or a bank holiday is something special escapes me???

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    AFAIC a day is a day. Why unions think a Sunday or a bank holiday is something special escapes me???
                    Most people are off, so supply of labour is limited by definition ...

Would you work for the same money on weekend/bank holiday/Christmas Day?

Let me rephrase it - would you even WORK on those days? Posting tulip using your multiple sockies on CUK does not count

Comment

Working...
                    X