• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laaandan innit!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laaandan innit!

I've just started a new contract after a few months on the bench. I've successfully sidestepped London for previous contracts but was too slow this time. So here I am for the next few months. I am looking fir help or advice from more knowledgeable regulars here, with regard to accommodation.
    I don't want a room in a shared house, I prefer hotels. I don't want a£10 per night hostel but neither do I want a £200 per night business hotel. I just want somewhere nice and clean where the chances of being stabbed when I nip to the shops is minimal. My work is near London Bridge tube and I would like to be able to walk to work. Please, any help or suggestions anyone?

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
    I've just started a new contract after a few months on the bench. I've successfully sidestepped London for previous contracts but was too slow this time. So here I am for the next few months. I am looking fir help or advice from more knowledgeable regulars here, with regard to accommodation.
    I don't want a room in a shared house, I prefer hotels. I don't want a£10 per night hostel but neither do I want a £200 per night business hotel. I just want somewhere nice and clean where the chances of being stabbed when I nip to the shops is minimal. My work is near London Bridge tube and I would like to be able to walk to work. Please, any help or suggestions anyone?
    Not sure how the tube journey is, but, Baden Powell House (Scouts) in Kensington is very nice, clean, cheap, and you get served breakfast by someone wearing a woggle.

Comment

My preferred hotel search engine is Active Hotels because I find the reviews to be honest and reliable.

Hotels in the area under £60 with vacancies next week: London Bridge Hotels - London Bridge, Europe · Active Hotels

But on getting somewhere, nothing beats walking the streets and seeing what there is that does not appear on any listings sites. (Unless you have a resident contractor community at ClientCo who can recommend what they do.)
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
        I am not sure that these three requirements are really compatible, could you prioritise them please?

There is a Premier Inn that is a short walk from London Bridge, that might fit the bill. I haven't stayed in it myself so can't say whether it is any good or not* but it would probably fit your price, location and safety requirements.

*It is a Premier Inn so it is not going to be very good but some people are quite happy with these as a place to crash in during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          There is a Premier Inn that is a short walk from London Bridge, that might fit the bill. I haven't stayed in it myself so can't say whether it is any good or not* but it would probably fit your price, location and safety requirements.

*It is a Premier Inn so it is not going to be very good but some people are quite happy with these as a place to crash in during the week.
          The one in Sothwark? I stayed there after a Christmas party one year. Very acceptable for £100 or so. I'm sure you'd be able to get a long stay rate too.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            The one in Sothwark? I stayed there after a Christmas party one year. Very acceptable for £100 or so. I'm sure you'd be able to get a long stay rate too.
            The premier inns and travelodges in the city will do long stay deals if you ask.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              The premier inns and travelodges in the city will do long stay deals if you ask.
              What sort of saving do they offer from their normal rate? I've never needed to do this but would be interested for future reference. Any time I've tried to use a travellodge down here the price has been not far off what I would pay for a proper hotel.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Travelogde website is a good place to start. You can get rooms ranging from £45 to £95 depending on the day of the week and how far ahead you book. As previous poster has said, ask them them about longer term stays and you may get a better deal.

Comment

I discovered laterooms and booking.com for a hotel last night. It was crap but at least you get a discounted selection which you don't find direct with the hotel or on sites like expedia and hotels.com

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    What sort of saving do they offer from their normal rate? I've never needed to do this but would be interested for future reference. Any time I've tried to use a travellodge down here the price has been not far off what I would pay for a proper hotel.
                    Not sure, I know a friend of mine used to get a regular booking saving and that was just for the odd night.

If you are looking at a more regular and long term its worth ring them up and asking.

Even with decent hotels its always worth asking them as well.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X