• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car key fobs and RF interference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car key fobs and RF interference?

For any rf gurus in the congregation...

In the last couple of days I've noticed intermittent problems when trying to open my car with the remote key fob, when parked on my drive. This morning it just wouldn't work at all, so I tried the spare key but with the same result. I also saw the same problem last night with my dad's car when he parked outside our house.

However my key works fine when the car's parked at the office, so I'm presuming there must be some sort of RF interference around our house. Is there an easy way to track down the source of this? Are there any household appliances that are likely culprits, e.g. wireless routers etc? I've heard (possibly apocryphal) stories of malfunctioning STB's that somehow manage to generate an ELT signal, but I think that's unlikely.

Possibly related to this, we've also been having trouble recently with TV remotes not working properly. I've noticed that the IR indicator LED on one of the devices in our bedroom glows softly, i.e. not as much as when a remote key is pressed, pretty much constantly. Obviously this is IR and not RF, but it seems strange that the problems have started around the same time.

Any help much appreciated...

When you have a power cut at night do you notice an odd house in the area that surprisingly still has their lights on?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      When you have a power cut at night do you notice an odd house in the area that surprisingly still has their lights on?
      Can't say I have. Perhaps tonight I'll nip down to the substation, flip the 'OFF' switch, and have a look around. Do you think I have James Bond living next door?

Comment

Its obvious that the interference is coming from your wife's remote control vibrator which she must have left on standby.

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit
          Its obvious that the interference is coming from your wife's remote control vibrator which she must have left on standby.
          No it wasn't on standby. I was using it on her at the time ..
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            No it wasn't on standby. I was using it on her at the time ..
            Saves me a job...

Comment

I've never used a vibrator on a bird, because my willy seems to do the trick OK.
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                I've never used a vibrator on a bird, because my willy seems to do the trick OK.
                Oh stop pretending. Everyone knows Fleetwood from CUK doesn't have a willy!

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit
                  How long does it stay that way?

Comment

Not in Norfolk are you!

Drivers blame RAF radar as dials go haywire

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...21/ixhome.html

or http://tinyurl.com/r343r

"Like something out of a sci-fi film, motorists are finding their lights flickering and engines cutting out as they drive along a Norfolk coast road..."

Comment

Working...
                    X