• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob Diamond and the Treasury Select Committee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Diamond and the Treasury Select Committee

Anyone watch this this morning.

Link here

The video clip of David Ruffley taking it to Bob Diamond is good. Ruffley insisting on a Yes / No as to whether Barclays were 'grateful' to the British taxpaper whilst Diamond treats him with well restrained annoyance. Don't know who it is sat to Ruffley's right but he has his head in his hand at one point.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Didn't Jesus warn us about this?

Comment

I watched it.

Thought Bob gave a very good account and held is ground. If anything he came out the other side looking better than when he went in.

Did Barclays actually borrow from the British tax payer? I don't think so. So why would he by grateful..

I'm still of the opinion that those that headed the banks that near collapsed because of irresponsible risk taking should be punished. If I overtake a car poorly judged and crash, I die, I don't land with a golden parachute.

DAVID RUFFLEY - what a nit wit
      Last edited by scooterscot; 11 January 2011, 13:51.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I watched it.

Thought Bob gave a very good account and held is ground. If anything he came out the other side looking better than when he went in.

Did Barclays actually borrow from the British tax payer? I don't think so. So why would he by grateful..

I'm still of the opinion that those that headed the banks that near collapsed because of irresponsible risk taking should be punished. If I overtake a car poorly judged and crash, I die, I don't land with a golden parachute.
        There you go again, letting facts get in the way of a good lynching.

Would've been a good retort though...

"Actually we didn't receive a bail-out from the tax-payer."

Comment

I was hoping Bob would open up the meeting with something like:

How d'you do, I see you've met my faithful handyman
          He's just a little brought down because when you knocked
          He thought you were the candyman.
          Don't get strung out by the way that I look,
          Don't judge a book by its cover
          I'm not much of a man by the light of day,
          But by night I'm one hell of a banker
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I read a text summary of the proceedings but don't understand why he was there. Why the show trial? Does he just see it as a possibility to promote the tulipe hawk?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Taxpayer bailed out counter parties - had RBS and LTSB fall down so would Barclays. Say Golden Sucks did not bail out from taxpayer... but they insured their losses via AIG which was bailed out and those bail out money went to Golden Sucks as well as other banks thus supporting them pretty much directly.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Taxpayer bailed out counter parties - had RBS and LTSB fall down so would Barclays. Say Golden Sucks did not bail out from taxpayer... but they insured their losses via AIG which was bailed out and those bail out money went to Golden Sucks as well as other banks thus supporting them pretty much directly.
                WHS. All banks are rolling in tax payers money. Kerching.

Comment

There's an argument that they invested in institutions they knew couldn't fail. Some would say that's a good investment.

Comment

AIG which was bailed out and those bail out money went to Golden Sucks as well as other banks thus supporting them pretty much directly.
                    Hold the phone. AIG bail out was not exchanged for shares like UK banks, it was just given free money by the US.

Comment

Working...
                    X