• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its getting better under the tories. Yes really.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its getting better under the tories. Yes really.

So, they are going to give insurance companies access to DVLA records? Well, not in the way you'd expect because the Information \ Data Protection Act means the ins co would have to ask everyone who's on DVLA records for permission.

Lots of people wont want to do that so, to get around it, how about letting insurance co's make it a condition of insuring you that you agree to their access to your DVLA record?

Oh turn them (the ins co's) down I hear you shout. Yep, until you've gone through every ins co who have the same condition, no access to DVLA records, no insurance.

Yep, things certainly are getting better.

Insurers could get access to DVLA database - Telegraph

Because of data protection laws, a driver’s consent would be required before the DVLA opens its records to insurance companies.

One option being considered by ministers would be to allow companies to include a request for access to the DVLA database on the insurance proposal form.

They would be free to decline insurance to a driver who was not prepared to allow insurers to obtain information on any previous motoring convictions.

In a separate move learner drivers could be allowed on motorways, Mr Penning told the Committee.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Given the abysmal state of the DVLA's database, there should be plenty of work for contractors to get any sense out of it for insurance companies over the next several years.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Oh, I thought they could already. Not sure were I got the idea from. Can't say I'd have a problem with it, it's not really personal data like bank balances or health/criminal records. Actually can't see why the general public can't access some of it, checking mileage on previous MOTs would help when buying a car to ensure it's not been fiddled. Hardly more sensitive than Co Hse showing what directorships you have.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 11 January 2011, 19:43.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Actually can't see why the general public can't access some of it ...
        As long as "it" didn't include any contact details, such as home addresses or contact phone numbers. Otherwise burglars could deduce whose property was likely to be empty simply based on number plates of passing cars.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Oh, I thought they could already. Not sure were I got the idea from. Can't say I'd have a problem with it, it's not really personal data like bank balances or health/criminal records.
          Tracking down your runaway wife so you can give her another beating.

Tracking down high value cars so you can steal them to order.

Looking for other Emerald Green, 2004, 4 litre, Hokey-Cokey GTIs so you can pinch parts of them for your car.

Tracking down the bastard driving T415GHR so you can smash his windows for pulling out in front of you.

If I can think of those off the top of my head...
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Tracking down your runaway wife so you can give her another beating.

Tracking down high value cars so you can steal them to order.

Looking for other Emerald Green, 2004, 4 litre, Hokey-Cokey GTIs so you can pinch parts of them for your car.

Tracking down the bastard driving T415GHR so you can smash his windows for pulling out in front of you.

If I can think of those off the top of my head...
            OOOOOPS! Sorry
            Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
            Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

It seems obvious that insurance companies should be able to make such checks anyway - it seems totally relevant to what they do, in fact anything that makes insurance companies actually check detailed entered BEFORE insurance is granted is good.

It's a legal requiement to have driving license/insurance anyway.

Comment

This article, contrary to the other thread, seems to suggest you will be able to keep vehicles SORNed and uninsured:

Motorists warned of new insurance measures | Travel News

I guess previously you had to get caught driving uninsured to get fined. Now you will get fined just for having your vehicle uninsured (unless it is SORNed).

Having a SORNed vehicle on the road is already an offence that is enforced against (whether being driven or just parked on the public highway).
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  So, they are going to give insurance companies access to DVLA records?

It's getting better under the tories. Yes really.
                  Well, it was under the last lot that the DVLA were selling people's personal details to illegal clampers so they could go round people's houses and beat them up. That pissed off the Data Protection Registrar big time.

It is the "How can we sell our assets?" mentality of the DVLA that is the problem, not the clique of lying thieving politicians in government at the time.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Oh, I thought they could already. Not sure were I got the idea from. Can't say I'd have a problem with it, it's not really personal data like bank balances or health/criminal records. Actually can't see why the general public can't access some of it, checking mileage on previous MOTs would help when buying a car to ensure it's not been fiddled. Hardly more sensitive than Co Hse showing what directorships you have.
                    I always swap my odometer with the spare one before the car goes for its MOT
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X