• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are references ever required early in the recruitment process?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are references ever required early in the recruitment process?

I think we would benefit from a little research.

To investigate the validity of the "I just need two references" theory, can you help answer the questions in the survey above?

In particular, it is to determine whether recruitment agents ever need to take referee's details at the same time as a CV is submitted, and before the candidate has confirmation of an interview with the client.

Since many of us have done recruitment, either initiating it or being closely involved in the specification and/or selection process, I think we comprise a valid study group.

The long version of the questions is here:
    1. Have you ever specified that references must be provided with CVs?
    2. Have you ever requested references or referee details prior to arranging an interview?
    3. Have you ever asked an agent to just gather referees 'just in case' prior to arranging interviews?
    4. Have you personal experience of knowing 100% that a client has ever requested referee's details be gathered PRIOR to interviews being arranged?
    5. Can you see any valid benefit or legitimate point for the client to gather referees before the shortlisting of candidates?
    6. Have you been involved in recruitment and never known references be required PRIOR to interviews being arranged?
    If you answer "YES" to any of 1 to 5, please elaborate.

Thank you for your help.

NB: Answers are NOT private.
    1. Ever specified that references be provided with CVs?
    0.00%
    2. Ever requested references prior to arranging an interview?
    0.00%
    3. Ever asked an agent to just gather referees 'just in case'?
    0.00%
    4. Any experience of ClientCo requesting referees PRIOR to interviews?
    0.00%
    5. Might a client want referees before shortlisting?
    0.00%
    6. Referees and NEVER needed prior to interview
    75.00%
    7. ClientCo would recruit AndyW even with references!
    25.00%
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Having hired a fair few over the last 2 decades nope.

With the approach that the vast majority of corporate clients take these days they will only ever confirm dates (and sometimes not even that) so asking for references is a worthless exercise.
    The only kind of references that I've seen taken up over the last few years have been associated with security and financial clearances and those aren't of a professional type needing access to past client contacts.

Comment

I've hired my fair share of contractors before, mostly for financial services. The most we've ever done prior to interview was pre-screening via HR, which is more concerned with credit ratings etc., and that was an exception to the norm. References have never been required prior to interview.

(Although I do sometimes get the lowdown on someone via 'the grapevine' before interview, depending on where they've worked. It's a small world.)

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        (Although I do sometimes get the lowdown on someone via 'the grapevine' before interview, depending on where they've worked. It's a small world.)
        Same here, but that's a completely different matter to some agent trying the "The client requires references" hogwash.

Comment

I’ve hired several times at four different clients; one government, three corporate. Never required references. I did once see that a client had named references in their ‘HR quality system’, but only for financially or security sensitive roles, and even then, the references could be gained AFTER interviewing candidates.

It is sometimes in the SLA that a preferred supplier has, but then it means that referencs must be available, not supplied automatically.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

In any case, references are for the end client, not the agency.

Oh btw, you'll like this one, I've just finished working through an umbrella company. They wanted to give me an "exit interview"...

FROMF!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              I've hired my fair share of contractors before, mostly for financial services. The most we've ever done prior to interview was pre-screening via HR, which is more concerned with credit ratings etc., and that was an exception to the norm. References have never been required prior to interview.

Are you perm now RH?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Are you perm now RH?
                Yes (), but not for much longer.

Comment

I'm bumping this poll 'cos 14 answers doesn't seem like enough for a valid sample.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X