PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing like Australia

Alf W
12th January 2011, 16:05
Do you think that, with the current news coverage re floods etc, the Australian Tourist Board are p*ssing their money away with that TV ad?

I must say I'm very disappointed that there aren't any good 'alternative' versions of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvH4vSeGz4I

amcdonald
12th January 2011, 16:13
To be fair at least Prezza isn't in it

Doggy Styles
12th January 2011, 16:52
I can't see it at work.

Does it include watersports, like white-water car rafting?

RichardCranium
12th January 2011, 18:17
Do you think that, with the current news coverage re floods etc, the Australian Tourist Board are p*ssing their money away with that TV ad?a) No. There's no such thing as bad publicity. Australia is all over the news and so it is a good time to put the idea of going there into people's heads.

b) Countering the bad news with positive adverts might be a good idea.

c) It was issued by a public body. Getting a decision made to stop the ads going out might take months.

thunderlizard
12th January 2011, 19:18
I wonder what kind of films our tourist board (if there is such a think) is putting out in other countries?

The only one I could find is this one. whose overriding message is "Shhh! Pipe down with your racket, Johhny Foreigner! I'm trying to do the Telegraph Crossword here!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvKl50LcUQ

Also, the song ends with "for no bonds can ever tempt me from she", which flies in the faces of both grammar and sense.

lilelvis2000
13th January 2011, 10:36
I didn't see anybody surfing down the river yet. anyone?

scooterscot
13th January 2011, 11:09
Do you think that, with the current news coverage re floods etc, the Australian Tourist Board are p*ssing their money away with that TV ad?

I must say I'm very disappointed that there aren't any good 'alternative' versions of it.

:rollin:

Yes Australia is no larger than the Isle of wight. Clearly you've never been to Oz. It's like saying the floods in Berlin would mean travelling to Lisbon is a no no. :igmc:

BA to the Stars
13th January 2011, 20:02
They could have spent the money on a decent cricket team :wink

Gonzo
14th January 2011, 06:50
I am going on holiday to Brisbane next month. :(

I had better pack my wellies. :rolleyes:

RichardCranium
14th January 2011, 12:51
I am going on holiday to Brisbane next month. :(

I had better pack my wellies. :rolleyes::spel boat and shark fishing gear (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12169218)

Right now I'm looking at a car floating past my house; I can see fridges, furniture, sofas - there's even been a report of a shark sighted. It was a bull shark and it was spotted in a local suburban street. We do have sharks in the Brisbane River; they have obviously come over the flood barriers and come looking for food.

aussielong
14th January 2011, 18:08
I can't see it at work.

Does it include watersports, like white-water car rafting?

Do you know how many ppl have died? Is this a funny joke? Would you make a joke about Giffords head being blown off? You are now on my sh1t list.

RichardCranium
14th January 2011, 20:19
Do you know how many ppl have died? Is this a funny joke?Damn, yes. Where the hell are all the soggy Aussie jokes?

Searches... Oh, yes!

I was in Brisbane waiting for ages for a bus.

Then what do you know, two float past at once.

England and Australia wore black armbands during the 20-20 match in Adelaide in respect of the flooding in Brisbane and Queensland.

Better safe than sorry.

I can't believe how rude the Brisbane Tourist Office were when I rang up asking about wine.

All I said is that I couldn't find a Dry White Australian anywhere, and they gave me a right load of abuse.

SKY NEWS: Brisbane counts the cost of flood.

I thought floods were free.

BBC News: "Brisbane braces for flood surge".

The lengths the Australians will go to wash the Ashes from their memories

Chin up Australia.

No, seriously, chin up Australia.

Thank you, Sickipedia (http://www.sickipedia.org/).

suityou01
14th January 2011, 20:36
aussielong's sh1tlist got a little longer :rolleyes:

RichardCranium
14th January 2011, 20:45
Would you make a joke about Giffords head being blown off?I had to Google that to see what you were on about.

You mean that Merkin politician woman who, despite being shot in the head, is alright? That confirms everything I thought about politicians in the good ole US of A.

Really, WGAF? It's a gun-culture country and shooting one another is what they do over there.

Edit: forgot the gags.

BBC News; Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords May Have Severe Brain damage.

So, back to politics for her then?

US doctors have confirmed that Gabrielle Giffords can 'respond to simple commands'.

For an American, that must mean a full recovery.

One of the victims in the Gabrielle Giffords shooting was a nine-year old girl, who wanted to know how American politics work.

Well, now she knows.

BBC NEWS: Shot US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords 'doing well'

Obviously not or someone wouldn't have tried shooting her.

RichardCranium
16th January 2011, 00:16
I asked this Australian bloke how far away I was from Queensland. He replied, "It's twenty clicks away, mate."

Things must be bad if they've started speaking dolphin.:D

meridian
16th January 2011, 22:42
aussielong must have left his sense of humour at Sydney International Airport.

There's a relief rally on in Australia called "Where the floody hell are ya"

wobbegong
17th January 2011, 10:15
Dreadful film. There's two and a half hours of my life that I'm never getting back.

:mad:

DimPrawn
17th January 2011, 11:08
Phil Spencer has been plugging Australia again.

Melbourne: Episode Guide | 4Homes | Channel4.com (http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/phil-down-under/melbourne-episode-guide-11-01-14_p_1.html)

For £375K you can get a great house and they showed that nurses and doctors there earn on average twice the UK pay too.

And IT is on the desparately needed skillset for getting a work permit too.

What you all waiting for?

weemster
16th February 2011, 04:45
Contracted in blighty for several years and have finally made the jump to contracting down under. Must say guys if anyone fancies it - it will be the best move you ever make :glasses

gadgetman
16th February 2011, 06:28
Welcome :wink

Contracted in blighty for several years and have finally made the jump to contracting down under. Must say guys if anyone fancies it - it will be the best move you ever make :glasses