• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your magic number?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your magic number?

to go permie, at a client you like, with a decent team, and as many cookies as you can eat?
    Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The whole concept of working for someone else other than myself goes against my grain. Ok I'd do it for £2.5m, a catamaran, a nice car and 30-40 days in the office per year max.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If it was genuinely everything I would like - challenging technical work, involved in the company rather than just being told what to do, local or work from home, co-workers who were stimulating but non-arrogant, managers who were smart but humble - I'm not too money hungry.

In the real world... depends how many months' warchest I have. Or are you talking a number to go permie even with contract work on offer?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

£500 per day plus being allowed to post tulip using my sockies at CUK at employer's expense.

HTH

DimPrawn

Comment

I made the jump a few years back for £82k base, with 7k car allowance and 15% bonus. I got that up to £89k + 7K + 15% bonus and got
          1500 shares at $23 vest, 1800 shares at $53 and 300 shares at $0 to vest over four years.

But as the shares were underwater for most of the time at $14 they were a waste of time, so I decided to jump back into contracting.....

Those shares are now $97!!!! $97!!!! FFS!!!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            1500 shares at $23 vest, 1800 shares at $53 and 300 shares at $0 to vest over four years. But as the shares were underwater for most of the time at $14 they were a waste of time, so I decided to jump back into contracting.....Those shares are now $97!!!! $97!!!! FFS!!!
            You have only yourself to blame - you worked for the company but did not believe in shares, so you did not choose to exercise them even though you'd have to pay to own them, and wtf you want shares to give you cash if you don't believe in company you work in? If anything they should have fired you the moment you refused to exercise your underwater options.

Stick to your tat shop - you are not good at it, but at least damage is localised

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Or are you talking a number to go permie even with contract work on offer?
              I guess that really. reality is, it's soooo difficult to match day rate contracting, especially when you have a spouse who doesn't work.........

hmmm....

it's not all about the money, is it!?

maybe im getting weak in my old age and the dark side is just beckoning!
              Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

the nice thing about contracting is that you sit there in amongst it all, but not actually part of it

like a fly on the wall documentary

watching all of the company tulip that the employees have to put up with distracting them from their work

for example, last two months been having fun watching colleagues do their performance reviews with the managers and all of them discussing what's happened and who got what review and who's getting what payrise and why or why not

I couldn't be part of all of that tulip

the beauty of contracting is you are out of all of that tulip and have a totally transparent black and white relationship with the customer

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
                  to go permie, at a client you like, with a decent team, and as many cookies as you can eat?
                  50k + less than 30 minute commute + all permie benefits (healthcare, pension, 25 days hols) --- add 20k to that if it's a bank. But to be honest ...... not sure if I'd take it, but would consider it.

Comment

Some years ago I was changing contracts and in the process a pimp approached me for a permie role in one of the Big4 in London as a manager and department builder.

As I continually turned him down, even after a brief interview on the phone with the company, he started increasing the price.

The last I heard from him before I wrote him an email basically saying "**** OFF, SERIOUSLY!" he offered 110k GBP + car allowance + pension + 15% bonus.

I am still happy about my choice
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X