• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany

Every time Germany and ze Germans are discussed, there are always some negative reactions, often related to WW2.

But my experience of modern Germany (spent a few months working there, visit for weekends several times a year, often go on holiday in Germany and have a some German friends and family, and besides, the border's only 30 minutes drive from my house) is overwhelmingly positive. Yep, zey hef funny eckcents, and sometimes it looks like quite a regimented society, but actually I find Germans in general to be polite and welcoming. In some parts, especially the southwest around Pfalz and Baden Wurttemberg they can even be quite laid back, and certainly know how to enjoy good wine, food and weather. Young German artists and musicians often break the image of a regimented society with pretty rebellious and avant-garde work, and although their sportspeople have an image of cold efficiency, I used to go to Germany for athletics meets in my 20s and found that young German sportspeople enjoyed a good party at least as much as anyone in the world. It’s also a very stable democracy, has a strong economy, an excellent standard of living, excellent education, healthcare and transport, beautiful old towns, fabulous modern architecture and spectacular scenery; all in all, a very desirable place to live, with the possible exception of a few run-down places in the east.

So what’s your experience of Germany and why do some people still seem to have something against the place and the people?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I've only been to Berlin for a city break.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, ate and drank well, and found the people we interacted with to be thoroughly normal.

I don't know about Johnny foreigner, but it seems to be a British trait to slag everyone off based on stereotypes, and/or things taken from popular culture, with Gerry taking a level more of flack for historical reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      So what’s your experience of Germany
      Leaving France where they just shrug their shoulders at you when you speak to them in French but with an English accent...

... to enter Germany where they insist on speaking English and being interested and chatty and at the end of a beer-drinking session in a small bar in a small town being given a large schnapps for free to see me on my way.

(Hmm. Thinks. Where were all the French Christmas Markets?) (Don't say 'France'!)
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        it seems to be a British trait to slag everyone off based on stereotypes, and/or things taken from popular culture, with Gerry taking a level more of flack for historical reasons.
        The Dutch do that too, especially toward the Germans. To some extent it's humorous, but the joke wears thin pretty quickly, especially when every cloggy starts saying 'I want my bicycle back' to the nearest German.

Comment

I heard on the TV yesterday that some parts of Eastern Europe saw the Nazi invasion as a liberating force, freeing them from Russian tyranny. Lithuania and others or something. We give the Germans too much negative press IMO, for what were bad times all round. Everyone seemed to be in the mass murder business at the time, England perhaps excepted if you don't include things like firebombing cities. I was also reading about the Spanish civil war recently, which sounded ghastly, and that happened just before the second world war. But the Spanish don't like talking about it.

Comment

So what’s your experience of Germany and why do some people still seem to have something against the place and the people?
            In answer to the first part of your question, I've had a great time living and working in Germany.

With reference to the second part, I don't know but it could have something to do with the fact that they were responsible for the mass murder of millions of people from various ethnic groups during the second world war.

Comment

I think the attitude stems from a sense of national inferiority that many British people have, so they hark back to a time when the nation was engaged in a titanic struggle. It's a bit sad really. I've never been to Germany but have always liked Germans when meeting them.

Any German who fought in the war is at least well into their 80's and even then would have been not much more than a child.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                but it seems to be a British trait to slag everyone off based on stereotype
                WHS..

Met some really nice people out there last year, they were all German and one Glaswegian. In fact our office had folks from all over the world. Of the few from England some were very nice and intelligent/sensitive that they were in another country anyone could approach him. Then you get this other t£$@ who me thinks he's still living in the UK and ALWAYS managed to bring the war into the most trivial of conversations. It's really embarrassing.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  it could have something to do with the fact that they were responsible for the mass murder of millions of people from various ethnic groups during the second world war.
                  Yep, a long time ago. Of course, a few of the perpetrators are still alive today, often living pathetically lonely lives as social outcasts; is there any real chance of Germany doing that again? I'd say that of all European countries, modern Germany is probably the least likely one to start wars or commit mass human rights offences.

Comment

Yep, a long time ago. Of course, a few of the perpetrators are still alive today, often living pathetically lonely lives as social outcasts; is there any real chance of Germany doing that again? I'd say that of all European countries, modern Germany is probably the least likely one to start wars or commit mass human rights offences.
                    Well when you've done it once so spectacularly, everything else pales in significance.

Comment

Working...
                    X