• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things that make Britain weird

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that make Britain weird

slinkyMalinky

She's got a point with Ice-cream vans, hasn't she? Do any other countries have this? Wonder if Oz does...
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

There are ice cream vans all over southern Europe, the eastern Med and north Africa. They're just a bit smaller than in Britain and usually selling under the 'Ola' brand instead of Walls or Nestlé;

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I can confirm

that there is an Ice-Cream van in Kanahooka (near Wollongon in Oz) and he sells very nice ice-cream.

What's more, when he rings his bell it doesn't mean he's only got sprouts left!

Sprouts seem to be unknown in Oz.

Which is a shame.....

Comment

I've never seen a "Don't Walk" sign in the UK.

I've only ever seen the Red man/Green man ones.

Am I missing out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          I've never seen a "Don't Walk" sign in the UK.

I've only ever seen the Red man/Green man ones.

Am I missing out here.
          And if she thinks we obey them then she's never been to Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            And if she thinks we obey them then she's never been to Germany.
            So true.

Makes me chuckle everytime I see them stood beside a deserted road. You can see the cogs turning "I can see no cars but the man is still red... What should I do.."

Comment

Ice cream vans in Glasgow used to be owned by the crime families who used them to sell drugs. The turf warfare that ensued was called the Ice Cream Wars and resulted in many deaths, petrol bombed and shot up ice Cream Vans, someone poured petrol through a flat leterbox and killed a whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                So true.

Makes me chuckle everytime I see them stood beside a deserted road. You can see the cogs turning "I can see no cars but the man is still red... What should I do.."
                And even better, when you've had enough of pointless waiting you cross on the red man, to murmurs of incredulity from the massed potential crossers and sheer shock.

Not one will break ranks tho.

My big sin is forgetting not to walk on the Radhweg (sp.?) and hearing constant ringing in my ears...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  And even better, when you've had enough of pointless waiting you cross on the red man, to murmurs of incredulity from the massed potential crossers and sheer shock.

Not one will break ranks tho.

My big sin is forgetting not to walk on the Radhweg (sp.?) and hearing constant ringing in my ears...
                  You're lucky it's only the ringing. Most of them look like they'd happily run you down and kill you for having the nerve to not notice that you've stepped over the line.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Ice cream vans in Glasgow used to be owned by the crime families who used them to sell drugs. The turf warfare that ensued was called the Ice Cream Wars and resulted in many deaths, petrol bombed and shot up ice Cream Vans, someone poured petrol through a flat leterbox and killed a whole family.
                    Duncan Bannatyne started out by running ice cream vans.

It's all starting to make sense.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X