• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English Nurseries in UK and EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Nurseries in UK and EU

Can some of you shed some light on how much does it cost to put a toddler in a nursery for a whole year in UK (rural vs London) as opposed to other EU countries?
    I'm trying to compare different offers, given the kind of expenses I would be taking and at least initially it seems that English schools outside of UK are generally very sought after and therefore quite expensive, so, at least in my case, the theoretically higher rate from another country doesn't even offset the additional expenses...

According to the Daycare Trust, the cost of a nursery place ranges between £126 and £375 per week. The typical cost of a full-time under-two's nursery place is £152. In some areas - inner London, for example - you may find that it costs a lot more than that! While your baby is under two years old, places tend to be more expensive, because babies require more hands-on care so the nursery must hire more nursery nurses.

£150 per week-ish for anywhere but the south east sounds about right to me.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      According to the Daycare Trust, the cost of a nursery place ranges between £126 and £375 per week. The typical cost of a full-time under-two's nursery place is £152. In some areas - inner London, for example - you may find that it costs a lot more than that! While your baby is under two years old, places tend to be more expensive, because babies require more hands-on care so the nursery must hire more nursery nurses.

£150 per week-ish for anywhere but the south east sounds about right to me.
      That range is also my experience for English speaking institutions in Germany and Switzerland and Qatar and Denmark and Sweden.

The cost is significant.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        That range is also my experience for English speaking institutions in Germany and Switzerland and Qatar and Denmark and Sweden.

The cost is significant.
        After careful considering and much research, I decided the best thing to do was employ the family dog as nanny. It works Ok in films and she's happy with food as payment.

Bit like an au pair, but slightly hairier.

I had to staple sausages to the paws to enable bottle feeding, but it worked a treat.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          After careful considering and much research, I decided the best thing to do was employ the family dog as nanny. It works Ok in films and she's happy with food as payment.

Bit like an au pair, but slightly hairier.

I had to staple sausages to the paws to enable bottle feeding, but it worked a treat.
          You can also have a ferret take care of the children.
          that is usually a great solution.
          Keep the ferret fed though.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
            You can also have a ferret take care of the children.
            that is usually a great solution.
            Keep the ferret fed though.
            A small animal like that seemed silly to me.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

My sister pays about 12,000 p.a. for her lad to be in daycare (London).

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                Ye gods!

Comment

Don't forget you can expense childcare vouchers through your ltdco.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like the service is more or less equally pricey anywhere in Western Europe (for example ca €10k in rural Spain - nuts) and we will only have ourselves to blame that there won't be enough young ones to support the economy/infrastructure when we're 90.
                    Even if some of the countries are a bit better off in the sense that people are paying into their own savings accounts, that still doesn't mean that there will be enough taxes collected to support the roads, buses, hospitals and all the infrastructure that the old people need...

Comment

Working...
                    X