• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle DBA Contractor market dead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle DBA Contractor market dead?

I've just started looking for an Oracle DBA contract, and am finding a complete lack of interest from the agencies. Is this a really bad time of year to be lookng for a contract? If so, when are the good times?

I've never had this lack of interest before. Is the UK Oracle DBA contractor market dead? Is the contract market itself finished? Is it better to go permanent?

If anybody else is looking right now, how are you finding the market?

There exist more than one contracts in Copenhagen at the moment.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The market is mixed, I think it is generally OK, for generally general things.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        The market is mixed, I think it is generally OK, for generally general things.
        Generally I'd agree.

In my type of work I've seen several people come onto the market from private companies cutting costs or going bust, but they tend to get sponged up by government-funded work.

In general.

Comment

Generally it's a tulipe market out there right now. Everyone knows the world as we know it is coming to an end, so no doubt organisations everywhere are battoning down the hatches, as well as looking to the new world for their next stream of profits.

Comment

well

I know that RBS are currently looking for 4 Oracle DBAs.........send your cv to Lorien.

Comment

Send your CV to [email protected]
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by HonkyTonk
                I've just started looking for an Oracle DBA contract, and am finding a complete lack of interest from the agencies. Is this a really bad time of year to be lookng for a contract? If so, when are the good times?

I've never had this lack of interest before. Is the UK Oracle DBA contractor market dead? Is the contract market itself finished? Is it better to go permanent?

If anybody else is looking right now, how are you finding the market?
                I'd not noticed that it had slowed particularly - I guess it depends what your CV looks like (this is conjecture, though)... I've not had any trouble, and I'm sh1t
                The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

oracle

i think oracle itself is almost dead, its replaced by MS SQL server crap even in large accounts from what i hear. It seems that the oracle webserver is also a big piece of @#{#.
                  Larry has sold is yacht i believe

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz
                    i think oracle itself is almost dead, its replaced by MS SQL server crap even in large accounts from what i hear. It seems that the oracle webserver is also a big piece of @#{#.
                    Larry has sold is yacht i believe
                    Not at all true, I don't think (dunno about the yacht, but buying Siebel can't have been that expensive). Not in large accounts, SQL Server won't cut it. Oracle on unix is still it; or even DB2 on mainframe if you need real scalability and speed. Look at what banks use, they have scale and criticality. I know of none that use SQL Server.

Comment

Working...
                    X