• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing a Masters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a Masters

I have 10yrs experience doing web/front end development (coding) and am now finding it wears a little thin in the interest stakes..

I've been reading up a lot about web usability and "user experience" and it seems quite interesting, there are a lot of parallels with what I do now and as I know the techie / Javascript aspects too, this gives me an advantage on the design side

To support it, i'm thinking of doing a part-time Masters in a relevant topic (eg. Human Computer Interaction), but I wonder if I'd be better off just working the keywords into my current CV and applying for jobs to suit..

Masters is 1 year full time or 2 years part time, would probably do freelance work to pay the bills while I did the course.

Anyone done this? Did it make any difference to employability after doing it?

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    I have 10yrs experience doing web/front end development (coding) and am now finding it wears a little thin in the interest stakes..

I've been reading up a lot about web usability and "user experience" and it seems quite interesting, there are a lot of parallels with what I do now and as I know the techie / Javascript aspects too, this gives me an advantage on the design side

To support it, i'm thinking of doing a part-time Masters in a relevant topic (eg. Human Computer Interaction), but I wonder if I'd be better off just working the keywords into my current CV and applying for jobs to suit..

Masters is 1 year full time or 2 years part time, would probably do freelance work to pay the bills while I did the course.

Anyone done this? Did it make any difference to employability after doing it?
    Yes, I have done it.

It slightly improved my employability.
    Please bear in mind it is quite hard going and you should do it because you are really interested in the subject. If you are not you will find it very, very hard to plough through those papers (unless it's a comedy MSc, where you won't have to read any papers)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Every Bob has an Msc in Computers 'innit.

Will make f-all difference in 99% of contracts.

Being able to deliver a decent web front end will.

HTH

Comment

Working...
      X