• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Posh northerners / scottish / irish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posh northerners / scottish / irish

These ppl can sound like muck. However, they can be pedigree. I have come across complete broad Lancashire accents who have been to very good public schools in the north of england. Fine. No problem with that.

I object when they turn their noses up at posh sounding people who come from council backgrounds who have ended up working with them.

Happy to be advised on this issue.

TBH honest, your opening statement makes it sound more like you have an issue than them.

What makes someone posh?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      TBH honest, your opening statement makes it sound more like you have an issue than them.

What makes someone posh?
      I do have an issue. Its with ppl that make assumptions about your background based on your accent.

To set the scene : Working class accents coming out of middle class mouths. Middle class accents coming out of working class mouths.

Ppl that have gone to expensive public schools and had great benefits yet still talk like a commoner talking down to comprehensive school geeks because they simply sound more educated and have good manners.
      Last edited by aussielong; 14 January 2011, 18:25.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        posh sounding people who come from council backgrounds
        I can't actually remember meeting or hearing anyone of this description.

Comment

What makes someone posh?
          Spice.

Comment

What makes someone posh?
            Getting out of the bath to have a piss.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Getting out of the bath to have a piss.

HTH
              You obviously don't mix in the highest levels of society. Pissing in the bath and then plumbing the bath water to the taps of the estate workers is what made this county great.

A little "taste" of the aristocracy helps them.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                I can't actually remember meeting or hearing anyone of this description.
                There are quite a few about, David Davis MP being a prime example.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

These ppl can sound like muck.

I do have an issue. Its with ppl that make assumptions about your background based on your accent.
                  So you have an issue with people like you?
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    So you have an issue with people like you?
                    I made an observation, not an assumption.

If I were to apply the assumption that is being made about me, then I would be assuming that the person speaking badly is from an uneducated background. I have observed that not to be the case, so I did not assume it.

Comment

Working...
                    X