• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news for Bletchley Park

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news for Bletchley Park

Pioneering Edsac computer to be built at Bletchley Park

The first recognisably modern computer is to be rebuilt at the UK's former code-cracking centre Bletchley Park.

The Electronic Delay Storage Automatic Calculator (Edsac) was a room-sized behemoth built at Cambridge university that first ran in 1949. Creation of the replica has been commissioned by the UK's Computer Conservation Society (CCS). The three-year re-build will be carried out before visitors to The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley.

Edsac was one of several early British computers that pioneered the practical use of such machines.

It was conceived and created by Sir Maurice Wilkes as a machine that could carry out many different kinds of calculation for Cambridge researchers and scientists.

During its nine-year lifespan, Edsac helped two Cambridge researchers win a Nobel and aided many more try out approaches and get results impossible to even conceive without the machine.

The £250,000 cost of the re-build will be paid for from funds raised by a consortium led by entrepreneur Hermann Hauser.

However, one part of the original Edsac that is unlikely to be re-created is the 1.5m (5 feet) long tubes of mercury used as a memory store. Modern health and safety regulations preclude the use of mercury.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Great stuff

Did they ever get that replica Babbage "Difference Engine" working?

Comment

And that's your PC that is, that's your state-of-the-art pimped-up Dell, that is....

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Great stuff

That's at the Science Museum:
        The Engine consists of 8,000 parts, weighs 5 tons and measures eleven feet long and seven feet high. It works as Babbage intended, and brings to a close an anguished chapter in the prehistory of computing.

<- how they put it together

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Great stuff

Except that the one that was built a few years ago isn't a replica.

It's the "original" as it's the first one to be built to Babbage's design.

Comment

I'm thinking of going there...

Worth a visit?

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Except that the one that was built a few years ago isn't a replica.

It's the "original" as it's the first one to be built to Babbage's design.
              I thought Babbage started to build an original, but didn't finish it or get it working for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post

Worth a visit?

Tone
                Absolutely. Had a great time when I went.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post

Worth a visit?
                  Oh yes. And Milton Keynes is right next door.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    Absolutely. Had a great time when I went.
                    I thought the Bletchley Park museum was quite interesting but I was a bit disappointed by the computer museum.
                    The contents were interesting enough but I got told off for looking around without a guide and because the next tour wasn't for anouther hour I didn't get to see it all.

They seemed to have a bit of a chip on the shoulders, as if the vistors were in the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X